AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess every so often a ton of 1031Q questions pop up.

Here's another. When watching movies with Star fields the blackness of Space has a reddish brown tint to it. During regular scenes black seem to be displayed properly.

What is this, and how do I correct it?

Rob

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Your red gun is probably being driven a little more than your blue and green guns are. You could either turn down the red drive on the board just to the right of the main convergence board, or just turn down your brightness a bit. You could calibrate by skipping to a "black" starfield and adjusting the brightness (down), contrast (up), red drive (down) so that black is truely black. A proper video calibration with a THX Optimode or similar calibration DVDs would probably solve the problem. Pick up Fight Club on DVD and use the THX video calibration.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Rob,

I was thinking about your problem. Im (obviously) not an expert at PJs, but:

1) Perhaps the G2 settings are off slightly, although again I would think this would present itself in other images. I found on my FP and RPTV that if the G2s are a tad too high the picture may appear visually normal during regular scenes, less the slight color push, but the black scenes are not exactly black. (Whites also werent white.) There are posts on adjusting G2 - I would recommend you check them out before experimenting.

2) If you are using DVD, you might try another player if you have access to one --- especially if you are using a "Wallet-Protector(TM)" model. Im only saying this because I have seen some inexpensive players which dont produce black below a certain level. (IE, Apex 1500- if you look at the grey bars on the THX setup disc only the first 7 are viewable, regardless of brightness/contrast setting. What happened to the other 3?!?) Stands to reason this lack of black resolution could cause some issues.?

3) The source material (dvd/vhs or otherwise) being viewed may not be properly mastered. In this case it might happen on 1 or 2 movies but not all of them.

4) Far fetched perhaps, but maybe you are seeing some type of internal light scatter. (You might check some of the other recents posts regarding this for some possible solutions if this is infact the cause.)

Perhaps someone else has some more ideas to check or has seen this first-hand??

--Kieth

If the genie comes out don't blame me

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to all who replied. I Adjusted the Red G2 ever so slightly down (sensitive POT)and got what looks to be an outstanding picture now. Actually I adjusted everything again and the picture is pretty good from Composite. If it can look much better that this through HTPC, then I can hardly wait.

Rob

·
Registered
496 Posts
Well, I guess it wouldnt be going too far to say it will look twice as good on a HTPC. :)

(I think they look more than twice as good if the HTPC is set up properly.)

--Kieth

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.