AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, quick question. I just got my AVIA disk and was working on focus. I tightened the focus up on my green a bit and the red needed a little more. However, the problem i encounterd was after changing the focus of the red, i couldn't converge the red on top of the green. The outer lines of the red grid were outside the green lines, but when i cranked in the width pot all the way, i still didn't have enough to get the red lines converged. If i unfocus the red a bit i can get it to converge. is it time for a coil adjustment? or is there some other way im not thinking of to do it with the pot adjustments....

-paul

·
Registered
16,585 Posts
Paul ,

-- if the red is in focus and can still be seen outside the edges of the green then it is not focused tight enough or you may have the G2 too high [ this can cause the color to radiate further than it should - is your color balance / grey scale accurate ? ] . Then there is always the magnet issues that can cause the beam to be off [ astig adjustment helped me narrow my grid and get a nice tight focus ] . Using the coils under the convergence board could be your problem if you cannot get the width out of the red [ to line up with the green ] .

-- Hope this helps some ,

--- Jason Berg

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
Sounds like the same problem I had with my 1031Q

I dont beleive its G2 or focus especially if you have a good clear image.

WHat you will need to do is go back to the red width pot and set it about half way. Then you will need to flip open the convergence board and make an adjustment to the RED width coil on the lower board.

It is the one all the way to the left ( if your table mounted ) and physically dial the width size down. You need special toos that can be found at Rat Shack, they look like plastic alen wrenches. DO NOT USE STEEL ALEN WRENCHES because the internal adjustment is made of ceramic and also there is a few thousand volts in the coils. If you break the coil you will be S.O.O.L. or even wose shocked to SHI...... if you know what I mean.

Let us know when you get the tools we'll go further. If the tool doesent fit you may need to shave one of the flat sides of the hex shape with a sharp razor blade like I did.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys, ill let you know when i get the tools and try it out. i sure wish i had the service manual so i knew the purpose of every nob and screw...

-paul

·
Registered
16,585 Posts
Paul ,

-- If you can see red on both sides of the green [ red-green-red ] and you have focused it properly as tight as you can then there is another issue .

-- If you only see red on one side of the green then you should be able to take care of it with the convergence and the coils .

-- Best of Luck ,

-- Jason Berg

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jason,

it was definitely the latter problem, red was outside green and i turned the

width pot all the way and still couldnt squeeze the red enough. im going to try the coil adjustment as soon as i can get the right tools. i tried lowes but no luck....i wasn't expecting much. ill try radio shack tomorrow. you two table mount guys have the life. you need to start converging upside-down!!

-paul

·
Registered
392 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by plaiming
. you two table mount guys have the life. you need to start converging upside-down!!

-paul
I'm not going to mount my PJ on the ceiling until after I have all the issues worked out and become proficiant at focus & convergence. I'm also experimenting with different resolutions and refresh rates trying to decide which I prefer, and each time I change it, a bit of tweaking is required on the PJ.

I really don't want kink my neck looking up at the ceiling for hours every day :) It'll probably be a couple more weeks before I hang it.

Larry

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
larry,

i think you are smart in doing that, altough you have to be a bit carefull in

your assumptions. one, i moved it up to the ceiling because i wanted to get my screen installed on the wall, and the best way to get it mounted right

was to get the PJ up there, level it, and see the height of my image. Second, when you ceiling mount you have to do a lot of digging around to change all the plugs to reverse the polarity of the image. That plus lifting

it to the ceiling is going to whack you out of convergence pretty well. However, I agree that it'll be minor compared to getting the PJ tuned up from scratch to your liking. Best of Luck!

-paul

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. Got the twiddle sticks from Radio Shack. I did have to

shave quite a bit off the red one, but then it worked fine. Things are looking

better!

-paul

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.