AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, Hope I'm not opening a can of worms here.

My Video sources are scaled to 540p via a Crystal Image processor.

Using the RGB V Size pot, I trimed my projected image down to a 16:9 screen.

Am I getting the full 540 lines resolution?

Am I geting the full 960 lines vertical resolution?

Also, my Crystal Image passes thru my Hughes E86 HD receiver set to 1080i 16:9 output and I get a proper sized image on the screen. It does this w/o any snyc problems between the two sources (bonus!).

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
540p @ 60Hz is the 1031Q's max. spec. (36KHz horiz. scan).

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Myoung, thanks for your response.

However, I was not really wondering if I could go higher, rather I just wanted to confirm my resolution is the full 540 lines in the 16:9 "window".

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
223 Posts
I think that you should be squeezing the image using the convergence v-size pot and not the RGB v-size pot, as it should be the raster size you should squeeze instead of the picture within the raster.

Koldby

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Koldby,

Eboyztoys explicitly says to use the RGB Vsize pot: (from that web site you linked)

"If your screen ratio is 16:9 you will probably also have to adjust the "V.Size" Master Height pot in order to squeeze the image down to its proper size. The "V.Size" pot is located on the DA circuit board beneath the DB Circuit board."

The v size convergence pot does not have anywhere near enough movement to go from 4:3 to 16:9.

Still wondering my original questions.

Jim

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
If you're sending it 540p it should be displaying 540p. Depending on how well it's setup you might have some line overlap which will make for a softer image. Just make sure you have the correct aspect ratio and you should be good.

What do you mean when you ask if you are getting 960 lines? Interlaced? The 1031Q can take 1080i, but the 5.5" tubes cannot resolve that many lines. Still, it looks great. There are test patterns out there to assertain how many lines you are properly resolving. The Nokia Monitor test program has such patterns, though it doesn't sound like you have an HTPC.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mike,

By 960 lines I mean vertical (left to right) resolution. 960 represents 16 portion of the 16:9, 9 being 540 lines. I know in CRT speak vertical resolution really isn't mentioned as it is in fixed pixel displays.

Jim

·
Registered
16,651 Posts
Jim ,

-- to answer your question , NO .

-- while you are projecting a 960x540p resolution and the 1031Q can handle the scan rate you are not actually resolving 540 lines [ as the maximum for the 1031Q is actually 500 ] .

-- Hope that is what you were after .

--- Jason Berg

·
Registered
223 Posts
jimnahas:

This is what the site says:

Adjust the green "Height" control until the height of the projected image fits properly inside the screen boundaries. If your screen ratio is 16:9 you will probably also have to adjust the "V.Size" Master Height pot in order to squeeze the image down to its proper size. The "V.Size" pot is located on the DA circuit board beneath the DB Circuit board. Refer to page 11 in the Installation Guide for instructions on how to access this board.

I understand it this way: Try to squeeze the raster to fit the 16:9 screen using the green hight pot on the convergense board, but you will probably not have enough range to squeeze enough, so you will have to use the RGB v-size as well. I may be wrong, but this is how I did it.

Koldby

·
Registered
392 Posts
It's not often I disagree with Jason, but I'll have dissent on this one ;) The 1031Q can fully resolve 540 lines, even when running at 16:9. I've had my PJ running at 540p and the scan lines were still clearly visible up close. If the tubes are in decent shape and are properly focused the 1031Q should fully resolve it with no problem.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by koldby
jimnahas:

I understand it this way: Try to squeeze the raster to fit the 16:9 screen using the green hight pot on the convergense board, but you will probably not have enough range to squeeze enough, so you will have to use the RGB v-size as well. I may be wrong, but this is how I did it.

Koldby
That way works fine, but if you're going to run at 16:9 it's probably best to leave the height convergence pot near its center and do most of the squeezing with the v.size pot. It's kinda a general rule of thumb with CRT projectors that the convergence controls are the last line of defense. If there are other adjustments that can be done to get the alignment closer, it's usually best to do those first and then fine tune using the convergence controls.

·
Registered
16,651 Posts
Larry ,

-- while I can see your point [ and I agree with you ] the max for the 1031Q is actually 500 lines , so from a technical standpoint it is not fully resolving all 540 lines even though you can see the scan lines :( .

-- I have run 720p and while it certainly can display 720p it most certainly is not resolving it . I run 1080i OTA HD and while it looks great it simply cannot do what a higher bandwidth/resolution CRT PJ can do .

-- While CRT's do not have a Fixed resolution , they most certainly do have a maximum that can be fully resolved .

--- Jason Berg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.