AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only seen a couple of 1031Q Screenshots. Coud some owners of this projector post some screenshots or provide some links to some? So far I've only seen 2 screenshots. One from DaGamePimp (on his site) & one from a webpage telling you how to setup a 1031Q. I've seen this done with other PJs, so if your able to, it'd be very nice to see some screenshots (even if they aren't quite upto par with DaGamePimp's) of your 1031Q (or 1030Q1).

Thanks!

·
Registered
496 Posts
Heres a screen shot from my personal 1031q.

Equip consists of an ATI AIW 7500 running [email protected] into an Extron 108 with a cat-5 cable/adapter going to the PJ. The PJ is shooting onto a Da-lite Model B screen. The screen is 96 inches wide. The PJ is using the full width of the screen. Since I watch some 4:3 stuff, the raster is not squashed. Significant gains could be made if I were willing to switch from the ATI software and toss 4:3 altogether...

Pic is taken with a Fujix FinePix 2600, which is a low-mid level 2.0 meg cam. I was standing towards the left of the room when I took the pic. Brightness/contrast have been adjusted, since this cams low-light is not so good. On my monitor the image color/contrast/brightness is reasonably close to what I perceive the "real" image to be - except that "On Screen" I do not have the crushed blacks. Also- While present, the red push is not to the extent the camera pic might imply.

It goes without saying, but a (much) sharper and brighter pic could be achieved with a smaller/better screen. I would not recommend a screen this big to someone with this PJ unless they can live with the shortcomings. In any case, I don't feel the picture does my setup justice...

Hope this helps...

--Kieth

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've tried photographing my 1031q's output several times, does anyone have any tips? I'm using an older Kodak digital camera, obviously the flash should be off, the room should be dark, but should I photograph a paused vs live screen? Adjust the brightness/contrast of the resulting graphic? How about where to stand, closer or farther away than the pj?

How was the famous Shrek photo produced?

(I'd gladly share the resulting photos if they looked anything like the real thing!)

Jason

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
I use an older Olympus camera, with varying results, no where near as good as some I've seen. Use a freeze frame shot, with zero ambient light, and if you have variable shutterspeed, play with it to get the most light and contrast on the image without smear or washout.

I do know some guys cheat and modify screen shots with Photoshop, but that's cheating!

Curt

·
Registered
16,594 Posts
well I only used a 2.1 megapixel digital camera for all my shots [ Including the Shrek pics ] and I had good results but nothing close to the real image . I am not sure that any digital camera could capture what a projected image truly looks like in person .

-- I did not doctor my photos at all and I found that if I stood a little in front of the PJ I would get a better shot [ even though it meant losing some of the screen on the sides ] . I was only able to capture paused video with any success [ any motion would produce a huge mess ] .

-- I have taken over 100 screen shots of my 1031Q and with every one I have not been pleased with the outcome , but it can still be used to give the basic idea of what these little monsters can do .

--- Best Wishes ,

--- Jason Berg

** I guess I had better thank MTyson for the compliment before he tries to bite my ear off ;) - Thank You ! **

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Here's two screen shots I did a while back with a 35mm camera and an old HP scanner.

http://www.mikesshorts.com/pp1.jpg

http://www.mikesshorts.com/pp5.jpg

Not too shabby. Got a bit a virgin phosphor area on my 2nd screen shot. I think film and high resolution scanner is the way to go for the best screen shots. You don't get any digital artifacting with film plus you get a killer contrast ratio, which is why we like our CRTs anyway! Use a digital camera and you most likely won't get that extra contrast punch. I am going to get serious about doing up some nice screen shots for my HT webpage one of these days! The two above were just tests. Maybe a LOTR screen shot in in order to demonstrate why I think film is the way to go. I'm on it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.