AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The image lately has been shifting back and forth a few inches left or right and seems to be jumpy every few minutes on the edges of the projected image. The raster is not maxed to the edge and the picture is within the raster with room to spare on both sides. Anyone ever have a similar problem. First finding out the width coils are broken and now this.....

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
Interesting problem. How is the projector hooked up? RGB or composit?

I am woundering if it might be possible that the Horozontal transistors are starting to go bad. There are two TO-3's on front sides of the projector up front by the lenses mounted on heat sinks. One side is for vertical and the othe side is Horoz. I dont remember which is wich but first check connections to those transistors.

It may even be bad solder joints on various boards causing the problem.

Do you notice it more when the PJ warms up or is it consstantly bad?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Strange....it's stopped for all of today. I'm not exactly sure what parts you are talking about. It seems to do it randomly and I think it does it more frequently after I start converging. Very strange I hope it continues acting normal but I'm sure it's just a matter of time before something serious happens.

·
Registered
496 Posts
My vote is that the problem you are describing is going to be soldering - specifically on the convergence board.

You could also tap (gently) on the board with the plastic handle of a screwdriver to see if the problem comes/goes, which would point even more to soldering. Very careful tapping can usually get you within a few inches of where the joint is.

--Kieth

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll have to try that, Keith. Thankyou very much. When I get home I'll have to power it up. So a little silver solder that I got lying around might just fix the problem. Very cool. Well I'll report back with my progress. If I can't narrow it down I might just replace the board if I can get it cheap. It did it again by the way. I was just getting ready to mount this thing to the ceiling so that's why I'm getting so picky. I would like to have stable convergence for at least a few months. Thanks again VR and Keith.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Cracked solder connections are common in these units. If you are up to it, remove the powersupply as well, and re-solder the black potted IC's on the board. If you look closely, they form circular cracks around the pins. Saves you more trouble later.

Just use a good magnifier and look over all the boards. The cracks become pretty apparent.

Marc

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I noticed something new, along with the shifting and the shaking I get the occasional lines bending, which is noticeable when I look at a convergence screen. I did try the tapping around on the convergence board and alson on the board underneath it. Didn't seem to affect anything unfortunately. Now I'm wondering if I should just sell it before anything big happens or try to find a few used boards to put into it.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Havix - I was getting the same symptoms when converging my 1031q - Tinman's suggestion to re-flow or re-solder all of the transistors on the convergence board really helped stabilize things.

...but in the end, I ended up swapping out the convergence board.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.