AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to set up my new 1031q with a composite input, the problem I am having is getting the vertical height of the screen small enough for a 16:9 screen size. I have minimized the vertical size control on the convergence board, and have adjusted the master v size pot on the da board per Larrys guide. The trouble is that the master V size pot seems to have no effect, I can turn it from min to max and I only get 1 scan lines worth of adjustment, I can actually see the scan line start at the far left and grow to the right as I increse the master v size pot. The image also seems to completly fill my raster, I used the white full screen from Avia, the only way I can get the image to not fill the raster is if I use the smaller window test pattern, is this how it is meant to be? I have the DVD player set to 16:9 screen, and this seems to cause some problems in AVia, menus looking strange and doubled up text, I checked this on a regular TV and I get the same result. Is avia enhanced for use with widescreen? Any ideas how to get my image to fit the screen vertically?

Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was playing with this some more and I found that if I move the PJ closer and really maximize master width I can actually just squeeze it down enough to fit the screen horizontally and vertically. However now I can't get anywhere near converging the red and blue with out the raster / image?? moving into the black phosphor area, so this doesn't work either. Do I just leave the DVD in 4:3 mode and just adjust the image so the black bars are off the top and bottom of the screen? But this will mean if I watch 4:3 material the image will not fit the screen.

Dave

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Come on 1031q experts... Does anyone have a idea? Am I missing something dumb here or is something more serious wrong?

Dave

·
Registered
426 Posts
Dave,

Since the projector only has a 4:3 display (the shape of the tube) you need to reduce the height of the 4:3 image until it has a 16:9 aspect ratio. The width stays the same.

I can't remember offhand how Avia is set up .... I think it's set up as 4:3 but it has some 16:9 material.... however, you should initially set the dvd player to 4:3 and project a tv image (or the avia introduction or menu). Then, reduce the picture height until you have a 16:9 aspect. If you then set the dvd player to 16:9 and project one of the 16:9 patterns on Avia then image should be correct.... and circles should be circles.

Depending on the size of image that you want you may have to adjust the picture size by adjusting the lens and crt spacers. If you have the projector set up for a 72in diagonal image in a 4:3 aspect, you may find that the 16:9 image is too small. If that's the case, you can set up for a 100in diagonal (4:3) picture by adjusting the spacers and reducing the picture height accordingly. The convergence on these projectors is 'best' at the throw distances which are recommended for the suggested image sizes.

I'm sure someone will jump in here and suggest that you save yourself a lot of bother and use a htpc for aspect ratio adjustment.

I'm not sure what you're getting at with your comments about "doubled up text". If the "text" is displaced slightly (and another colour), that would suggest that your convergence is out.

hope that helps

Brian

·
Registered
25 Posts
Dave,

My understanding is that the "V.Size" control only works for the RGB2 input, and not composite video. (I have not used the composite input on my 1031Q though, so I'm not positive).

Cheers, kaleb

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, I am using the compostite input right now, I do have a iscan V.2 on the way, and will be using RGB2 input in the future, but I was just see what I could get out of it with the composite as a learning experience, I am guessing I am going to have to start over once the iscan gets here. I can't even get it close at the moment.

I am using a 72"x40" 16:9 screen. According to PJ calc I should have about 117" from the screen to the front of the PJ. I have found that if I move the PJ to 100" from the screen I can get the vertical height to fit, but then I can't get the image to fit the screen horizontally. If I move the PJ to the 117" mark, I can't get the vertical height anywhere near fitting in the screen. As I stated before the master V. pot seems to do nothing, does this only work when using the RGB2 input? I tryed to converge it when I had it at 100" from the screen and it is not physically possible, I can only get the green and red or green and blue to converge, not both at once. If I move back to 117" I can get it pretty much converged, but I can't get the image to fit in the screen vertically. I am starting to wonder if the lens have the incorrect position or spacers, but I haven't had chance to check that out yet. Is it possible to tell without completely taking the thing to bits? If so what do I need to look for? Sorry if I am repeating myself, but I am trying to explain as fully as possible.

Thanks for the help

Dave

·
Registered
243 Posts
This problem has come up before. It seems that to get the 1031 to do 16:9 you have to use the master v pot, but this is on the RGB input board, and has no effect on the composite input. As I understand it, you won't really be able to do 16:9 until you are on RGB2.

Rob

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok, cool, I have set it back to 117" where it is supposed to be, I just set it up as 4:3 and I managed to do a quick convergence and I got a pretty good picture, if I put something with 1:85 aspect ratio in the DVD player I get a nice image that fills the screen, just anything 4:3 falls off the top and bottom edges. I will just have to wait until the iscan gets here to get it set up to 16:9 aspect ratio, now I just have to play with the color a little as my blues are very grey / green, I am hoping that this is a G2 control problem and not blue tube wear, I guess we'll see when I do some more playing around with it later.

Thanks for the help, I was getting panic'd that the PJ was broken, its good to know it only works with the RGB2 input.

Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.