Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I posted yesterday and after reading some more on here I have a new question.

I've seen some very positive comments on the Sony 1031q, the owners seem to love them and given their light weight I'm thinking of just putting one in my bedroom as my starter tabletop unit.

What I wanted to know is if all the favorable remarks about the 1031 also apply to the 1041...are they the same light weight machines...is one brighter than the other?

My bedroom can be made pitch black so light is a non issue.

Do the HD6 lenses show up on the 1041 as often as on the 1031's?

Thanks

Walt

·
Registered
609 Posts
the 1031q and some of the 1030Q1's out there are unique among the sony 10xx line in that they can handle more than an interlaced (regular NTSC TV) signal, so the favorable comments about the capabilities of a 1031Q do NOT apply to a 1041. (it's not better because the model number is higher).

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Yup - the Sony 1030Q1 and 1031Q are the only PJ's in the 10XX line up that can handle a 480p image.

- Rick

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the information and it sounds like the 1031Q is a perfect crt for my purposes. My bedroom is tight so the projector will be close to the wall and I'll have a smaller image size but I suppose a brighter one as well since the throw is going to be short like 7' from lens to wall. Is that ok and what size would that yield me on this particular machine?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HDTVplus
Thanks for the information and it sounds like the 1031Q is a perfect crt for my purposes. My bedroom is tight so the projector will be close to the wall and I'll have a smaller image size but I suppose a brighter one as well since the throw is going to be short like 7' from lens to wall. Is that ok and what size would that yield me on this particular machine?
7 Feet. Ouch! Without going back to the manual, I doubt you can actually set one up that close. If its possible, for sure you will need the lens spacers for the smallest screen size.

Ok, I just looked at the installation manual. Smallest screen size they describe is 72" diag and it requires 95.75" from front of lens to screen. That's a hair shy of 8 feet, so maybe you will be able to get it to focus that close (7'). You will definitely need to set it up with the 72" spacers and lens ring arrangement though. Hope it works for you.

Marvin

·
Registered
609 Posts
Another thing to note - if you play with throw distances and fudge lens / tube angles outside factory specs you might be able to get it to work but at the expense of your long-term reliability -

for example, once in an effort to eliminate using any electronic centering controls I physically toed in my red and green tubes beyond the factory spec for my screen size range and while I was able to converge my picture without any centering adjustments it threw the keystone so far out of whack that I had to use 99% of the adjustment range to get it back in line - in short it made for really unstable convergence and actually caused an artifact on the screen (a faint but ever-present horizontal line through the center of the image). In the end I changed it back and while it takes a little electronic centering adjustment to get things squared away overall all my adjustments are within 10% of neutral which has resulted in my convergence being rock-solid from cold startup now... and I'm sure my electronic convergence circuits are much much happier.

My point being that while you might be able to get it to converge at a 7' throw if you have all your pots near maxed out you may be doing bad things to your projector's reliability.

·
Registered
220 Posts
According to PJ calc, with a throw distance of 7' (84") you should be able to get a 50" wide screen, at 16:9 this would equal a 50X28" screen (57" diagonal). I was playing around with my 1031q a couple of days ago, I had it at 100" from the screen, and I was just barely able to get it to focus, the lens were almost at the extents of their adjustment, I have the 100" setup though, with the 72" spacers and ring positions you may have enough play to get it to focus, if can you squeeze it back a few more inches, you stand an even better chance of getting it focused. If not there has been some talk of using mirrors to increase the throw, but this seems a little complex for me. Good luck.

Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.