AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am setting up my home theatre, I either have the following equipment or it will be here by next weekend.

1031q

Iscan V.2

25' Triple shielded M-M SVGA cable

Extron 108 sync convertor

VGA to 1031q adaptor (thanks Jason)

72" wide screen per Larrys 1031 guide. (thanks Larry)

Avia and Sound & Vision DVD's

Little plastic TV alignment kit

Will I need the spacers for the 72" setup? I would assume that the PJ will come with the normal 100" ones? If so anyone know where I can get these spacers?

I know I am going to need some sort of cable to get the BNC out from the extron back into vga form, but the extron I bought has a bunch of cables coming with it, I just can't work out if they will be of any use from the photo, as I can't tell which ends are connected to each other. Heres the e-bay link, maybe someone here can figure out what cables it comes with.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...940456761&rd=1

Do I need anything else? I am hoping to get this all set up next weekend, so if I am missing anything I want to get it ordered so it will be here in time. I figured that if I don't have the correct cable for the extron I could get it all set up without the extron and then just add that in later, as I don't belive that the extron is a essential with the iscan. I also thought that it might me easier for me to set it up using just the PJ and iscan, before I start throwing more varibles into the mix.

Also, do I want the extron located at the PJ or with the iscan or does it not matter? Since I am planning on a table mount I have flexibility to do either.

Anything else to think about?

Thanks for all your help

Dave

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
hi, congrats on joining our 1031 family...you won't be dissappointed!!from everything you listed i belive you ar all set.i was going to ask why the extron with an iscan?you don't need it.when i had my iscan i set it for comp sync and that was all i needed.if you do go with the extron, i don't think it matters where it goes...i have mine with my htpc, which is about 6ft from projector..

also you know you can build the extron cable from pinouts here..that's what i did using cat5e.works flawlessly!!also if you haven't or don't know about theres a great site with all the info you could ever need to work on this projector.. www.eboyztoyz.com.also just something to consider i used my dvdo for about 3 months before the htpc bug hit me...best decision i have made.there is a HUGE difference in pict quality.

brickie

·
Registered
392 Posts
It's hard to tell for sure but it looks like the Extron you're getting already has the necessary VGA adapter.

Like brickie said... you may not even need the Extron since the iscan can probably be configured to output the negative sync signal you require. However, the 108 does have a couple features that you might find useful anyway...such as peaking, output voltage adjusment, and horizontal and vertical image centering - I'm not sure if the iScan has centering controls or not.

Larry

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome to the 1031 club, I haven't been so excited about anything in a long while, and to think until a couple of weeks ago I was ready to go go and spend $3000 on a RPTV, that is until I stumbled upon this forum, I'm so glad I did. The total cost so far for my setup is well below $850. Hopefully everything will go smoothly and in a week and a half, and I should be up and running. Thats when the real questions will probably begin.

I went with the extron as Jason had mentioned that the peaking and boost controls can really help picture quality, so for $25 I figured why not just give it a try, if I don't get anywhere with it I can always re-sell it. I figured the same with the Iscan, once I am ready to move up to a HTPC I can just re-sell it.

Any idea on those spacers though???

Dave

·
Registered
392 Posts
The 100" spacers are what you need. The measurements in the Sony manual are for a 4:3 ratio, 100" diagonal screen - about 80" wide. The 72"spacers would be for a screen only about 57" wide. So if it comes with 100" spacers (which it probably will) then you're all set.

Larry

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So.... my iscan has been delayed by about a week because of some communication problems with the guy I bought it from.

Anyway, do I do the set up with the composite input and then change over once the iscan gets here? If I do set it up with composite when the iscan gets here will it be like starting over from stratch or will the 1031 just need tweaking for the iscan?

If I would basically need to start over when the iscan gets here I will wait, but if the the composite setup would get me close to the iscan setup I am going to do it. I just don't have the time to waste setting it up twice if the swap over won't be simple.

What do you guys think?

Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
392 Posts
I'd go ahead and give it a rough setup with composite for now. Yes, you will have to redo it when you switch to the iScan but at least you'll have gone through the configuration process at least once, which will give you some practice for the real deal. If you've never done a setup before it will probably take a couple of tries before you're really happy with the results anyway, so you may as well start with what you've got ;)

Go for it!

Larry

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
if you have one of the manuals for it, then try to stick to turning the pots they tell you as far as converging your image...i got adventurous one day and wound up with a red line thru my pic that it took me a couple of days to get rid of..

brickie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.