AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know somebody else had this problem but can't remember what solutions were suggested. My 1031 turns on, the fans start, the guns momentarially light, then it clicks off. Anyone?

Frustrated

·
Registered
383 Posts
It happened to me when i was switching cieling to floor then back again, but the projector never got as far as the tubes lighting. It would power up only momentarily and the fans would do about a quarter turn before shuting down-what i did was disconnected all the wires for inversion then replugged them back in-so for me it was a matter of a bad connection.

I remember Curt mentioning that the PJ does a scan board by board and if there is a failure it just shuts down so if your tubes light up it must be related to the board it has scanned after that.

I love talking out of my ass!!!:D

Wayne

·
Registered
496 Posts
Rick-

Maybe Im not understanding the situation correctly, but this seems to be a completely different description of the problem then the one described in your other thread of the same name. Im assuming you are not working on multiple projectors.?

Previous thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=142100

In the other thread you make no mention of the unit shutting down. If the unit is not staying powered up then it doesnt have a chance of displaying video, regardless of the input. It also changes almost everything you have been told to check out.

The fact the unit is shutting down could indicate something such as a disconnected board, bad deflection board, bad convergance board, you name it. At this point, I would say swapping boards one at a time with known good ones would be the best option for you. I would start with the convergance/deflection boards and go from there...

--Kieth

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
Yea good way of checking but these babies are so NOT modular.

There are a bunch of fuses on the top left board (if your standing at the back of the projector and its on the ground, you know the one with the big heat sink on it :)

Maby take a quick check there first!

·
Registered
496 Posts
Good point Vic. I didnt mention it because I assumed that would be the first thing he would check, but one never knows. Ive missed a fuse more than once! :)

--Kieth

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Woohoo, Wayne, you invented a whole new failure circuit for the 10XX series! Patent it and sell it to Sony..;-)

The shutdown circuit is fairly simplistic in these. Under the right tube (red?) as looking from the front, there is one small PC board that has a small red LED on it. It indicates shutdown mode. It can be a H or V fail, or excess HV, or other problems. A seized fan can also shut down the set.

It took me 3 hours and 2 1031's and a lot of board swapping to determine the last one that did this had a bad power supply.

Bottom line is, there's no easy way for a non tech to troubleshoot this set. Buy a second unit on eBay for parts and start swapping is probably the best way...

Sorry, but it's the truth...

Curt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.