Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Well I have finally got my PJ on the ceiling , connected to my HTPC and have converged it and I must say for a first attempt I`m very impressed, even my girlfriend said WOW!!!

But I have a few questions if I may...

1) what resolution would you guys suggest for a 1031qm. I normally play region 2 DVD`s in 16:9 format, but also play a few region 1 in 16:9 also.

2) My red tube seems very dim compared to the other two tubes, could this be because the G2 is set too low or is it normal for it to be dimmer or is there another reason?

Many Thanks

Nathan

·
Registered
16,915 Posts
Nathan ,

--- For your PAL DVD's you would want to use 576p [ be careful here as this pushes the 1031 close to it's max bandwidth ] .

--- For NTSC use 480p - 540p

--- Do a proper gray-scale calibration with AVIA or VE and then see how your Red looks ;) .

---- Jason

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jason,

Many thanks for your reply . I will try what you suggest.

I`m also struggling to get the edges of the picture properly in focus, the centre is spot on but the edges are quite a bit out - any ideas?

Many Thanks

Nathan

·
Registered
16,915 Posts
Nathan ,

--- Have you done the Optical Focus with the Lenses ?

----- Jason

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Jason,

I have done the Optical Focus with the lenses, and it is still out at the sides, I have just realised that I have the projector set to 100" instead of smaller as my diagonal width is only 82", will this make the difference?

Nathan

·
Registered
30 Posts
Get yourself a Grand Video Explorer which gives you ~32kHz on both PAL progressive and NTSC progressive, i.e. 576p and 480p (max on 1031 is 36kHz). Works perfect on my 1031. At least better than the built in linedoubler in a Seleco 500.

It cost less than £150.

·
Registered
16,915 Posts
Nathan ,

-- The spacer settings on the tubes and lenses along with projection distance can make a significant difference in image quality even if you are only off by a small amount [ proper focus cannot be done unless all aspects are done correctly ] .

--- I would be willing to bet that your tubes/lens spacers need to be changed per your screen size and mounting distance [ maybe try the 72" setting ] .

--- How far is your 1031 away from the screen [ projection distance from green lens ] ?

------ Jason

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Another decent budget line doubler is the AVT-3200. It's $139.

http://www.avtoolbox.com/avt-3200.htm

Though Nathan said that he has an HTPC, and that's the best way to go, IMHO. I'm still waiting to get an AGP 4x mainboard so I can actually USE my MP-1 Radeon 9600 Pro!!!!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jason,

It is 117" from the screen to the green tube. I have noticed when I display a green hatched pattern using the Nokia program, the middle lines are nice and thin but when it gets to the edges they become a bit blurred, and also the same on the blue, but on the red they are perfect? Does that help at all?

Nathan

·
Registered
16,915 Posts
Nathan ,

--- Did you get that distance using PJcalc ?

--- How does the image look on the tube face of each tube [ either turn contrast way down or use some heavy tint to look into lenses at tubes ] . If you have distortion on the tube face then either the electronic focus is not done properly or the tube is being pushed too hard by G2/contrast [ of course you might just have a bad tube as well but probably not ;) ] .

----- Jason

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jason,

Must say first off thanks for your help!!!

I did get the distance from PJ Calc is it correct?? I hope so!!

The picture on the face looks fine, but when you look on the screen it appears to be showing an out of focus line next to the green line I`m showing if that makes sense. There is a line that is in focus like I get on the red, but appears to be behind it and towards the centre of the screen is a slighlty out of focus line.

Any suggestions?

Nathan

·
Registered
16,915 Posts
Nathan ,

-- No problem :) [ try to help when I can even though I am not a Tech ] .

-- Sounds like a Mechanical issue then if the tube face does not show any sign of this problem . Something in the Lens focus [ optical ] adjustments . Maybe your spacers are set wrong for your Projection distance/size ... ? Seems odd that the red would come out perfect however ... hmmmm , maybe the red has the proper spacer settings and for some reason the Green and Blue are wrong [ was the unit Re-Tubed by chance , Blue and Green go long before Red ;) ] .

----- Just ideas , I might be way off here - hehe .

----- Jason

·
Registered
281 Posts
you are aware that there are TWO mechanical focus routines. you loosen the forward nut and turn the lense to adjust the outer focus, then tighten that nut and loosen the other nut to focus the center focus.

-paul

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Paul,

Wasn`t aware that I had to focus two parts!! I have just loosened both wing nuts and twisted the front, I take it this is all in the manual, if so I will have a look if not please can somebody give me a clue or is it easy!

Many thanks to all of you..

Nathan

·
Registered
16,915 Posts
hehe , there Paul nail'd the obvious - LOL

-- sometimes we get too techy for our own good around here .

-- Nice one Paul , hope that is his issue .

---- Nathan ,

--the procedure is in the manual !!!

----- Jason

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Jason and Paul...

Thanks for your help that seems to of sorted it out!!! Something so easy.. Now i`ve just got to find a decent Pal resolution ( any suggestions 16:9?) and then actually finish the room!

Many Thanks

Nathan

·
Registered
35 Posts
Since i'm also a pal user i can recommend anything from 720 x 576 to 1024 x 576 resolution in 50 or 48Hz, just keep in mind that never exceed the 36KHz horizontal scan limit. Best choice depends on what your graphics card accept, rgb cable length and so on...

BTW if your diagonal screen size is 82" in 4:3 then the distance should be something like 108" from the screen to center of green lens, further away will also work but you will use less phosphor and thus maybe get less brightness.

And finaly this page is a must for 1031 users. 1031 setup guide

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
720x576 at 50hz for PAL is 31 or 32khz, a 1031 will handle it fine.

Dropping the refresh rate from 60 to 50hz makes the difference - I think the NTSC boys sometimes forget the refresh rate difference ;-)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.