AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my screen delivered yesterday. I picked at 106" Da-lite HCCV screen. My viewing distance is 14ft. I have now second thoughts. Should I have gone bigger?

·
Registered
4 Posts
YOU SHOULD GO FOR 120“(16:9) IF YOU MAINLY WATCH 16:9 MIVOES。 OR 140â€(16:9) IF 2.35:1 (WITH BARS ON TOP AND BOTTOM)

or choose 130" for both of them.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I am in the same boat, of course only you can answer that. Watch it for a couple of weeks and then ask yourself if it is worth having a softer picture to go bigger.

I am trying to get happy with an 84" wide screen, the picture quality is so much better than the old 116" wide screen, but I do miss the bigness of it all. The picture quality took a huge step up going from 116" wide on a painted wall to 84" wide on a StudioTek 130!

Maybe you could sit a little closer?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Well if someone could tell me should i get 77" or 92" for viewing distance of 10-11 feet.. I currently have 77" da-lite hcmw for this distance and probably could be bigger (but then image would not be as nice if not perfect material..probably..). 10.4 feet is currently maximum recommended SMPTE viewing distance (30 degree viewing angle).

·
Registered
458 Posts
I am kind of in the same boat as edfowler, I purchased a 92" firehawk and am now kicking myself for not going 100" or 110", the picture quality with the 92" is outstanding but I sometimes wish for a little bigger screen. but stewart screens are a little expensive to just go buy another one.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I am going 106 for a 12 ft viewing distance but it is in a multipurpose room so I have to take light levels into consideration. If you can go completely black, I say go as big as you can fit!

·
Registered
106 Posts
The quality of your viewing environment, the brightness of your projector, and its resolution are all important factors in deciding on screen size. In general, with good light control, a dark-colored room, a bright projector, and at least 720p resolution, you can easily go up to 120" at a viewing distance of 14' as long as pixelation and SDE don't degrade your image too much. We view a 110" screen at 13' with a Sanyo Z3. The image is big enough to draw you into the movie, but it needs a screen with some gain to be bright enough.

Check out the projector calculator at www.projectorcentral.com and ensure you've got enough lumens with your projector to go to a larger screen. Also, remember that many projectors are noisier on brighter settings, so you may want to ensure you are able to get a bright enough image on one of the least bright settings to maximize your enjoyment of the image.

Ricketty

·
Registered
451 Posts
I am projecting my Z3 onto a 106" Da-Lite HCMW and view from 11'. When calculating my screen size I used the guideline of 1.5 times screen width to main seating area.

Ricketty's right though... once you go beyond 100" to 110" or 120" you will definitely start to see your image degrade if your PJ isn't bright enough. A 106" screen is pretty big, and I don't think you will regret it, but if you want to go 110", do as Ricketty suggests and use the calculator to see if your PJ has enough output for that size screen.

Mark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.