AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
108" 16:9 1.1 gain ALR screen, how many lumens for good 3d?

I'm looking for a projector, my sales rep measured an area of 108" as possible.
The entry level projector has 1500 lumens, will that be enough for 3D after the bulb reaches its half life and decreased lumen output?
For a lot more I can go with an 1800 lumen or a 2,000 lumen laser. I like the idea of a mercury free product, I just don't love the idea of paying for it.

On the projector calculator, 1500 lumen is perfect for this screen, but in these threads I read someone had a similar size and was really unhappy with bulb fading taken into account.
I was hoping for more to chime in.

·
Registered
10,138 Posts
It would help if you actually named the specific projector models you're considering instead of just citing lumen ratings as different projector models with similar lumen ratings often perform differently in 3D. Knowing your budget would also be helpful in trying to determine the best available model for 3D in your price range. It would also help to know if you have any personal preference for DLP or 3LCD. Finally, your mention of an ALR screen suggests that you will be viewing in ambient light. ALR screens reduce the effect of ambient light but don't completely eliminate it. So the amount of ambient light will influence how many 3D lumens you need. Since 3D can reduce image brightness to less than half of 2D image brightness it can be a real challenge to view 3D in ambient light.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm looking into the Sony family. 285, 385, 785, 885. But I was trying to avoid derailing this into a Sony owner's projector thread, because my questions are more or less about a screen size and lumens. I don't mind saving money, but I'll also buy up to the 885 as I'd hope Sony invests more into mercury free options.

Ambient light is rough due to plantation shutters in the day time. I'm getting quotes to replace them with a better blackout option. The giant room is opened to a hall so it can't get pure blackout, but it will get dark. Also because it's more or less a multipurpose "media room" than a dedicated home theater it still has a white ceiling and some walls. The carpet is medium to dark grey. The wall along the potential theater screen is dark grey.

I like the firehawk 1.1 and screen innovations slate 1.2. They are so close in performance it's hard to give either the edge but I'm leaning Firehawk. Slate had slightly better contrast while firehawk had slightly better color saturation. It could be in my head though. The silver is darker than white so it gives a better black, and helps with the black bars. It's nowhere good as masking but it's somewhere in between.

Initially I was looking at a 144-148" scope screen so I knew I was getting an 885. That was until my sales guy did a better measurement and decided my main speakers are in the way.

I do like both Sony and JVC's picture just fine, the eshift doesn't even bother me. I'm turned off by JVC over the report of it being too laggy for gaming.

·
Registered
10,138 Posts
The Sony models you're looking at are all designed for dark theater use and not for use in ambient light. You really would need to ask in the owner threads for those models if anyone is trying to use one the way you're proposing to use it. But I would be skeptical that anyone is using one of those models for viewing 3D in ambient light with an ALR screen as it's the equivalent of trying to pound a square peg into a round hole.

The models you mention range in price from $5,000 to $25,000. With the kind of budget you're talking about the best solution might be a two-projector setup with the Sony dedicated for nighttime use in the dark where it will be at its best and a much brighter model for daytime use in ambient light. Maybe someone else can think of a different way to achieve your goals.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
For any of those projectors a 108" will be fine for 3D, HDR or some ambient light for regular HD during the day. If you are putting out 800 lumens counting for some bulb aging you will still get ~25 foot lamberts on the screen. That will still be decent for 3D, HDR or mild ambient light. For those situations I like to see 30+ft/l but you can always replace the lamp 1000 hours early and be close to that and save the old lamp for emergencies in case one pops prematurely. Of course if you go with the laser you will probably be double that for 10,000+ hours.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts