AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
? I am sure this was asked before, but some answers were still unclear...

I have PS3 connected via HDMI to my 1080p Sony display (24p compatable), when playing blu-rays the system goes into 24p mode. I noticed that when watching movie and the camera is panning or quick movement the image is choppy (I think the term is jaggies?), kina nervous movement. It seems to me 24p makes my viewing less enjoyable, I thought 24p suppose to give you smooth as silk movement like film?? Why the heck 24p is considered better (and bragged about) when these artifacts occur? Am I missing something here??

Thanks guys

·
Banned
1,762 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlubocki /forum/post/17046297

? I am sure this was asked before, but some answers were still unclear...

I have PS3 connected via HDMI to my 1080p Sony display (24p compatable), when playing blu-rays the system goes into 24p mode. I noticed that when watching movie and the camera is panning or quick movement the image is choppy (I think the term is jaggies?), kina nervous movement. It seems to me 24p makes my viewing less enjoyable, I thought 24p suppose to give you smooth as silk movement like film?? Why the heck 24p is considered better (and bragged about) when these artifacts occur? Am I missing something here??

Thanks guys

Do you have any of the motion enhancing stuff on?

24p is supposed to be somewhat choppyit's the "film look". If you're TV can handle 24p correctly, then it will repeat each frame a certain number of times to match the refresh rate. So if you have a 120Hz tv, it will play each frame 5 times. This means the tv no longer has to do 3:2 pulldown, which introduces an uneven "chop". With 24 frames per second, you're gonna see choppiness in fast moving scenes, but it should be an even chop. It's just a limitation of the frame rate. At least, that's my understanding of it. Hope that helps.

BTW, if you want the real smooth look, just crank up the auto motion plus (or whatever sony calls theirs). You'll probably get some artifacts though if it's set too high.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the explanation! I do have auto motion on my Sony, it smooths out the choppyness of motion in 24o mode, but it doesnt eliminate it. Whatever the 24p effect suppose to do for 25p junkies, I am not sold on it, I just turned off this feature alltogother. Its set to 1080 60p and with autmotion (I dont have the 120hz refresh), and it is smooth like film! Thank you for the explanation, greatly appriciate it!

·
Banned
1,762 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlubocki /forum/post/17048190

Thank you for the explanation! I do have auto motion on my Sony, it smooths out the choppyness of motion in 24o mode, but it doesnt eliminate it. Whatever the 24p effect suppose to do for 25p junkies, I am not sold on it, I just turned off this feature alltogother. Its set to 1080 60p and with autmotion (I dont have the 120hz refresh), and it is smooth like film! Thank you for the explanation, greatly appriciate it!

No prob; glad you got it looking better. If you don't have a 120 or 240Hz tv, then your best bet is probably to run it the way it is now. The main point of 120Hz is that it's a multiple of 24, so it can play 24p material without the 3:2 pulldown. To play 24p on a 60Hz set, there's got to be some kind of conversion, and that could be where the choppiness is coming from.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.