AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This post is for all the people out there who go to their local BB and CC and look and wish. Please let me know what you all think of this: Is it possible that all the 1080p dlp hdtv's could drive the prices of the 720p set way down? I mean if I could have one of the two sets why wouldn't I pick the 1080p over the 720 set? Regaurdless of all the resolution details most have 2 hdmi inputs and firewire so again why not get a 1080p set over a 720p set? Now I know what with all this said the main obsticle is the price. The question then becomes how much more money is 1080p (and other features like 2 HDMI inputs) worth over the 720p sets? Any way you look at it I hope it all equal 720p hdtv decline in price. Also what is the likelihood that companies will soon stop making 720p sets at all and instead just make 1080p sets?

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
720p may be phased out eventually, but there are very few 1080p sets out there right now to create any major price drops. I think the 1080p displays will be a higher priced niche for a couple of years to come, while the 720p's continue to live & thrive.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Once you get your 1080p set what signal are you gonna input to it? Probably not 1080p and more like for the near future 1080i/720p.

·
Registered
691 Posts
With a 1080p set, I'd feed it 1080i and be able to see the full spatial resolution of the signal, instead of downrezzing it to view on a 720p.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The 1080 sets are not going to drive the 720 set prices down....

Because the 720 sets are already driving their own prices down.

Plenty of people don't have any kind of HD sets, and won't until the prices come down. The manufacturers know this.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What do you all think now? While it may not be driving 720p prices down it may be eliminating 720p sets. In my area, Mesa Az, it is becoming harder to find the 720p mitsubishi 720 dlp sets. Best Buy used to carry them but instead are carrying the LCD and some the 1080p set but very few 720p Mitsubishi sets. Does anyone know if Mitsubishi is still making the 720p sets?

·
Registered
826 Posts
It does appear the 720P does decrease with the 1080P releases, and yes no broadcasting at this time, but all we can hope is that this will put even more pressure on those to accomodate us with that 1920X1080P ;) All we can do is hope and wait....It is nice to see the V.2 HDMi's come out that allows the 1080P to pass through.

Regards,

Cambryn

·
Registered
986 Posts
Only if they can sucker enough technophiles to the trough. Those who buy on the bleeding edge provide "sweet spots" for the more realistic and conservative.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
thats why its bleeding edge. They know the early adoptors will cover thier R&D costs and from there its usually gravy. Price to pay for the latest and greatest

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Yeah well I think 1080p is just driving the price of 1080p sets up. Just check out the price of a true 1080p plasma or lcd. 720p or better sets are not dropping that much in price. The crazy part about it is that 1080p sets don't look phenomally that much better than 720p or better sets. Compared to the sony 60xs which is 788p, the 60xbr1's don't look that much better resolution wise. The biggest thing I saw going for sxrd is the fact that it eliminated sde. Worth the price increase but I also think you are paying for more connections (vga, and firewire added to the xbr1)

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
720P prices have already gone down due to 1080P taking over the Microdisplay arena this Fall. There will be some exceptions, but don't expect 720P Microdisplays to drop too much more this year. Like old soldiers, they will just fade away. The manufacturers will just reduce their production of 720P sets as demand slackens. Already 720P DLPs are dying on the vine in many stores. Sony 3LCDs have captured a substantial portion of 720P sales. It's the emerging 1080P sets that will see the bigger price drops as the competition continues to grow, 720P has already been there, done that.....

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Well I am seeing in our local CC and BB as of yesterday, deep discounts on the 720P Sony units now that they have the SXRD units available. It was a pretty big drop from the prices two weeks ago.

·
Banned
494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVboy
720p may be phased out eventually, but there are very few 1080p sets out there right now to create any major price drops. I think the 1080p displays will be a higher priced niche for a couple of years to come, while the 720p's continue to live & thrive.
I agree. Just as reference I bought my Samsung 720p TV back in March at CC and I have yet to see them offer it online or at the store for the same price or lower than I bought mine from them at. Therefore I haven't seen any price drop, at least on my set.

·
Registered
8 Posts
According to an HP insider, rear projection prices are being pushed down by falling plasma prices. There used to be a big premium for plasmas over DLP's and LCD rear projection units. Now you can buy 50 inch plasmas in the high 3's and low 4's which puts lots of pressure on the rear projection prices. He also expects the price of 1080P rear projection sets to drop a bunch within the next year as a result of further pressure from plasma price drops.

We'll see...but it sounds good for consumers. Personally, he told me to wait another year before buying the 1080P sets, by which time the picture quality will improve and the prices should be in the low to mid 2's.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.