AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am currently running a Boxlight 20HD (Sanyo PLV70) at home, and just wondering if there is a 1080 projector available that would work for me. We use this as our TV, though other than occasional sports days or movie nights we generally watch about 2 hours / day, tops. Because this is our TV, we do like to keep some lights on, though we do keep the lighting fairly low.

With that, I don't think we would be able to go with a low lumen projector (the Boxlight was generally be considered a light canon.) At this point, the 20HD is working great for us, it does everything we are looking for, generally used with MythTV for watching recorded shows. I'm just wondering if there is some new 1080 projector out there that I "should" be looking at to replace this. Figuring that the next time I need to replace the bulb (currently on our fourth), maybe I would just look at replacing the unit.

My initial search didn't really turn up anything, but maybe I missed something. For completeness my room setup is a 15'x25' "basement" with 7' ceilings. The screen is 110" DIY blackout cloth. I do use the powered lens shift, especially since the projector is ceiling mounted, right at the top of the screen. With the low ceiling, I think I would require lens shift, since the projector can't be mounted any higher. The projector is currently about 13' from the screen, but I could change that if necessary.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by opel70 /forum/post/14287086

Hello,

I am currently running a Boxlight 20HD (Sanyo PLV70) at home, and just wondering if there is a 1080 projector available that would work for me. We use this as our TV, though other than occasional sports days or movie nights we generally watch about 2 hours / day, tops. Because this is our TV, we do like to keep some lights on, though we do keep the lighting fairly low.

With that, I don't think we would be able to go with a low lumen projector (the Boxlight was generally be considered a light canon.) At this point, the 20HD is working great for us, it does everything we are looking for, generally used with MythTV for watching recorded shows. I'm just wondering if there is some new 1080 projector out there that I "should" be looking at to replace this. Figuring that the next time I need to replace the bulb (currently on our fourth), maybe I would just look at replacing the unit.

My initial search didn't really turn up anything, but maybe I missed something. For completeness my room setup is a 15'x25' "basement" with 7' ceilings. The screen is 110" DIY blackout cloth. I do use the powered lens shift, especially since the projector is ceiling mounted, right at the top of the screen. With the low ceiling, I think I would require lens shift, since the projector can't be mounted any higher. The projector is currently about 13' from the screen, but I could change that if necessary.

Thanks,

One possibility is the Epson 1080 UB. It's rated at 1600 lumens.

http://www.projectorreviews.com/epso...cinema-1080ub/

·
Registered
1,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank6585 /forum/post/14288504

But only around 500 lumens in its best mode, unless you like the Dynamic mode which can do the full 1600, but looks pretty bad. The Sanyo PLV70 is around 1500 calibrated so there is a big difference.

There are some issues with dynamic mode in the way the colors are skewed, but it's greatest asset is the bulb is on the higher setting and you can add that asset to any of the other settings just by going into that setting and putting the bulb in high mode. I watched a forum member's Pro 1080UB that Jason of AV Science calibrated and turned the bulb up to the higher setting and the colors were fine and the brightness was something to behold.

I realize the Sanyo has more raw lumens, but there aren't many choices for the OP. I figure he would probably find the lumens of the Epson adequate.

·
Registered
157 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrd /forum/post/14289727

There are some issues with dynamic mode in the way the colors are skewed, but it's greatest asset is the bulb is on the higher setting and you can add that asset to any of the other settings just by going into that setting and putting the bulb in high mode. I watched a forum member's Pro 1080UB that Jason of AV Science calibrated and turned the bulb up to the higher setting and the colors were fine and the brightness was something to behold.

I realize the Sanyo has more raw lumens, but there aren't many choices for the OP. I figure he would probably find the lumens of the Epson adequate.

I have never noticed much of difference in brightness from changin the bulb setting, but I have also not yet seen the 1080UB, just from what I read in reviews.

As rickster904 said, the IN83 might be better suited for the OP. It can produce around 1100 lumens after being calibrated, much closer to his PLV70, but you are venturing in the $3000+ forum.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank6585 /forum/post/14290011

I have never noticed much of difference in brightness from changin the bulb setting, but I have also not yet seen the 1080UB, just from what I read in reviews.

As rickster904 said, the IN83 might be better suited for the OP. It can produce around 1100 lumens after being calibrated, much closer to his PLV70, but you are venturing in the $3000+ forum.

The IN83 has a 136 percent offset. The OP would have to mount the projector so that the lens was 20 inches above the top of the screen's viewing area. Even if the OP put the screen on the floor, there might not be enough room in a 7' high room for a 54" screen and 20" of offset.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the information. I did a search on ProjectorCentral and saw the 1080UB along with the AE2000. With the need for lens shift, it looks like those are the only two with even the chance of being as bright. As I mentioned, I am not looking right now. The 20HD has been working great for us. When we got it, I was in the over $3500 forum, but I think when we replace it I am looking for something a bit cheaper, hence posting in this forum.

I'll keep these two on my radar and keep checking back to see if anything new pops up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts