AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just spent more than a $1000 to upgrade my system to the latest hardware, with the goal of getting smooth, bug free hi-def dream machine and last night any 1080 shows were unwatchable due to regular stuttering, although the Fox football game looked ok at 720 (I think--didn't watch long before falling asleep). :confused: Quick spin of a dvd looked jerky too.

I am very disappointed. Any suggestions would be welcome. Here is my setup:

MCE 2005 -clean install

Intel 945pvs mobo

Intel pentium d 830 (3.2g dual core)

2.0g Corsair xms 675 mhz memory

80 gig hitachi deskstar sata ii

xfx 7800gtx vga card

ati tv wonder elite

ati hdtv wonder

no sound card - using s/pdif out on mobo

all latest drivers, with latest nvidia dvd decoder set to default settings (overlay preferred/hardware acceleration enabled) over dvi to dell 24" monitor at 1080.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Be aware that in some cases, not all, the onboard sound codecs cause stuttering with this setup. It depends on the motherboard. A separate PCI sound card, preferably one supported by the Nvidia Decoder will most likely solve your problem. Nvidia Decoder Hardware

Your 720P probably has slight stuttering too, just less noticeable because 720p is much easier for HTPC to output than 1080i.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"Be aware that in some cases, not all, the onboard sound codecs cause stuttering with this setup. It depends on the motherboard. A separate PCI sound card, preferably one supported by the Nvidia Decoder will most likely solve your problem. "

Can you please explain this a bit more? I thought there have been posts referring to a bug relating to DVI/Nvidia and 1080 output. That's what I want to understand, but any the audio suggestion is intriguing. If it is my onboard audio causing a stutter, I am screwed because I dont have a spare pci slot.

·
Registered
182 Posts
USB sound card! I have an Sound Blaster MP3+ with optical out. I'd never thought I'd be using 6 usb devices.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dw102800
Can you please explain this a bit more? I thought there have been posts referring to a bug relating to DVI/Nvidia and 1080 output. That's what I want to understand, but any the audio suggestion is intriguing. If it is my onboard audio causing a stutter, I am screwed because I dont have a spare pci slot.
Sound devices can sometimes cause stuttering. But usually w/ WMVHD files.

It really looks like you have the 1080i bug specially over DVI. That's leaves you to use FS Renderless mode to avoid tearing/stutters. MCE05/TT2.1/ZP4.50 support renderless for example.

There are many threads on this. Here's one....mike...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketech
Sound devices can sometimes cause stuttering. But usually w/ WMVHD files.

It really looks like you have the 1080i bug specially over DVI. That's leaves you to use FS Renderless mode to avoid tearing/stutters. MCE05/TT2.1/ZP4.50 support renderless for example.

There are many threads on this. Here's one....mike...
Okay, dumb question, but how does one use FS Renderless mode? Is that an nvidia decoder setting?

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
If you are using XP, as far as live HD 1080i TV, you may be SOL.

MCE05 uses renderless for their UI at least w/ DVD. Possibly w/ live TV too. I don't use MCE so maybe some user may chime in.

Zoom Player 4.50, TT2.1 support Full Screen Renderless to playback recorded 1080i media and DVD for example.

If you want to retain your Nvidia card then at least for now, you may run in 720p mode.

But for live TV, looks like MCE05 is your only choice. That card must be awesome for gaming...mike....

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I seemed to largely cut down on the stutters 1920 x1200 ota 1080i (e.g. CBS primetime hdtv) by selecting vrm 9 instead of overlay on omy Nvidia decoder. Can someone tell me what is actually happening (e.g. with codecs) and why?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.