AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Panasonic TH-50PX75U says it can display 1080i/1080p and the Samsung HP-T5064 says only 1080i. I'm trying to choose between the two and wonder if there is any benifit that the panny has 1080p? Since both have aprox. 750 resolution and not true 1080 resolution does the 1080p have any real advantage over the 1080i. Also would I notice much difference on the p over the i set if I later added HD-DVD or BlueRay? Comments please? ---Honkworm

·
Registered
166 Posts
Its all up to you on what you want. Im just wondering why your comparing the top and bottom of the models. The 75 replaced the 6 series. The 77 replaced the 60u series. Notice that on the 75 you have less features than a 60u series. So there is more than just picture quality to think about. Do you want front AV jacks? Do you want a plasma that doesnt have fans to cool it down. The new 75 series gets freakin hot. I havent seen the 77 series but I would say the cut in fans is a bad thing. My 58" 60u with 4fans can run for hours and its just warm.

I was in the same boat as you debating 768p vs1080p and the deciding factor was price. Another point to my decision was actually seeing a direct 1080p signal played on my tv. It looks just great with 1080p. Even though my tv is 768p native the 1080p over HDMI on a large 58" screen is great. I then was a firm believer that 1080p native wasnt so important in my opinion.

Plus dvds, SD signals and 720p broadcasts have to scale up. Larger the native res the more distortion you will have. I am not a brain by no means but where is the logic while most of the media is lower res. Half of the HD we watch is 720p and 95% of movies are dvd in our collections. Plus HD is mostly broadcasted late evening so more than 70% of HD broadcast is really just standard digital signal. Broadcast companies just unloaded alot of money on the new 720p and 1080i equiptment so I dont think they are looking to spring for new technology anytime soon. Maybe in 30 years and by then we will be looking at double the res of 1080p.

If your looking to setup a Blueray 1080p only theater then get the 1080p ROCK ON...

·
Registered
69 Posts
I just "downgraded" from a newer 42" LCD 1080p to a new 50" PDP at 1080i. My screen sized increased, but my resolution actually went down. In my opinion, 1080p at anything below 50" is definitely not needed, unless you are a hardcore gamer (and even still, at below 40", it's totally useless).

I can notice the difference in the menus on my PS3 (small text) at 8 feet away or less, but most games actually look almost identical (and one looks BETTER) at 1080i. My Blu-ray movies look about the same -- very slight difference. I find the LCD did a better job at the ultra-fine details, but honestly, I think that's due to the sharpness of LCD, and not necessarily the fact that it's 1080p.

My LCD was so detailed, it was cool -- but sometimes unrealistic. People were so sharp, the image sometimes looked, "digitally painted." I switched because two LG LCD's I had were clouding in the blacks (drove me insane), but I loved it otherwise.

Of course, standard def movies look the same resolution-wise. My 50" PDP seems to do a better job with standard TV signals, as well (not so flat and pastel-looking like my LCD was).

I think that most people aren't going to care much about the difference. At 10 feet or more away, I can't see any difference in detail (other than slight LCD/PDP differences). If prices were almost identical, I'd go 1080p at 50" or above. Unfortunately, prices for 1080p sets larger than 42" are a lot higher, so it's still not worth the minute differences to justify going 1080p over 1080i.

And if you watch only movies, forget the 1080p unless you have an image larger than 47", and a big budget. Waste of money, IMHO.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.