AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to hear opinions from others who play games and watch TV on a TV that does 1080i and 1080p as well as 720p. My TV(sony plasma, KDE37XS955) only does 720p and 1080i. I have a D* HR-20 as my source for hi-def programming as well as a 360, so my source isnt the best. My question is this- on most all programming I think 720 looks just as good as 1080i. On my games I cant tell any difference when I mess with the res. If/when 1080p native games become available, do you think there will be a marked improvement in PQ over 720/1080i? What about on sattelite tv programming?

Basically, I wonder if the diff between 1080i/1080p will be greater than the difference between 720p/1080i. Odd question I know, but I hope there will be a "seat of the pants" difference instead of just a scientific one.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I think:

The problem with comparing 1080p/1080i to 720p/1080i is that they are totally different things. In the first case, I think in a game with fast motion and high framerate, you will definitely see the difference in MOTION. However the difference between 720p and 1080i is one of clarity - if a game is 1920x1080 native then the 1080i display should give you more definition.

Playing a game running at 60 fps, I could definitely see a difference between interlaced and progressive.

·
Premium Member
4,055 Posts
You won't even have to worry about it as 1080p won't be commonplace for years to come until the bandwidth problems are solved. Unfortunately I've seen the difference between 1080i and 1080p and it's not jaw dropping. You do realize that your tv only displays one resolution a weird 1024x1024 (1024p, I guess they decided to go with rectangle pixels). So the only difference you are trying to see is how well your tv scales the 720p or 1080i signal it receives. Probably never gonna see the difference even if your set could accept a 1080p signal.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogbuehi /forum/post/0

You won't even have to worry about it as 1080p won't be commonplace for years to come until the bandwidth problems are solved. Unfortunately I've seen the difference between 1080i and 1080p and it's not jaw dropping. You do realize that your tv only displays one resolution a weird 1024x1024 (1024p, I guess they decided to go with rectangle pixels). So the only difference you are trying to see is how well your tv scales the 720p or 1080i signal it receives. Probably never gonna see the difference even if your set could accept a 1080p signal.

I am not really worried about it. I prefer 720P for pretty much every source I have viewed. I am just hoping that 1080p will be a big step. But my gut feeling is that it is just a small progressive step that is being over-hyped.

·
Premium Member
4,055 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro5.56 /forum/post/0

I am not really worried about it. I prefer 720P for pretty much every source I have viewed. I am just hoping that 1080p will be a big step. But my gut feeling is that it is just a small progressive step that is being over-hyped.

Go with your gut. It's true.

Like that comment above.

·
Registered
461 Posts
1080P is getting hyped like crazy. Yes, it is part of the HDTV resolutions for digital cinema - not broadcasting. Will you see a difference?

Based on my findings in talking to some people that do ISF calibrations and some that design/construct home theaters for homes, they said if you were to see a 'difference' it would in be in the following circumstances:

1. your screen is bigger than 60"

2. You sit at least 15' away from the TV/screen.

And some were still doubtful at those requirements listed above. However, in theory, the bigger the screen and the farther you sit, the more likely you'll see the difference - again that's theory but it makes LOGICAL sense.

Most said it was just the PR machine pushing the technology for dollars and remember one PR that came out about a week ago talking about 2160P. They said the numbers games isn't over and never will be.

·
Registered
909 Posts
That TV is 1024 x 1024 native resolution according to my google search.(odd)

Most likely your TV scales the 720 (1280x720) to 1024x1024 and downscales the 1080 (1920x1080) to 1024x1024. Thats why it looks the same, because it is.

What is really odd is that 1024x1024 is a freaking weird res for a 16:9 TV.

If your TV was a native res of 1920x1080 you would have a better shot at seeing the difference.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Personally for me...I can see the difference however from my experience, I have found on 1080p sources it looks better when the resolution is set to 1080i. Why? I have no idea, that just what I have experienced. Its like the 1080p stuff is just too sharp and it creates artifact.

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
If you have a 13" HD set and a 13" SD set next to each other, what are the odds you will see a difference from 5 feet away? Slim to none. Same is true for 720p to 1080p. Next to each other, you wont be able to tell a difference until you get 60"+ (which is negotiable). Now, back to the 13" set...is it going to be a huge difference? At 13", no. Will it be a huge difference from 720p to 1080p on a 50" set? Not really.

Whether you want to throw money at the difference is up to you. Personally, I wouldn't with 30-60" sets, and I'm someone that has a 720p DLP and 1080p LCD in the house right now. I've tested them myself.

It's all relative. Dude making $200K a year might spend an extra $1K or $2K so he has the absolute best. Dude making my salary...maybe not.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Your Sony Plasma is an ALiS Panel. 1024x1024i...interlaced.

Great TV, I almost bought it, but then I found a great deal on a Pioneer.

Search ALis Panel and you will find out more about the resolution and why it;s being used.

So far all the comments about it have been off.

Hitachi and Fujitsu's have also used an ALis Panel (1024x1024i)

Regarding 1080p...you probbaly will not see a difference with your TV.

Even people witha 1080p panel will not see much of a difference if any.

I have also heard/read that to benefit from the 1080p picture you need a display BIGGER than 60" and you will need to be about 7'-10' from it.

I have also read about the TV companies NOT being able to send the "REAL" and "FULL" 1080p signal through the pipline...takes up too much room = bandwidth...this is also true with the 720p and 1080i broadcasts that we are being sent. None of us are actually seeing a REAL HD signal.

HD-DVD/Blu-Ray and of course Video games are different because we are getting the picture directly from the source.

later

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
One of my plasmas is an old 3 1/2 yr 42" Philips 1024x1024 Alis HDTV and I can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080i. Usually from a HD cable box, I run 1080i. Recently I connected one of my xbox360's via VGA (it has a HD VGA input) and I run 1280x720 (720p) which looks great and has slightly less overscan so I get a little more picture. Upscaled DVD's and HD-DVDs look very nice with this setup. I wouldn't worry about 1080p for a 42" screen.

·
Registered
635 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBAdict04 /forum/post/0

Personally for me...I can see the difference however from my experience, I have found on 1080p sources it looks better when the resolution is set to 1080i. Why? I have no idea, that just what I have experienced. Its like the 1080p stuff is just too sharp and it creates artifact.

What 1080p sources are you noticing this from?

·
Registered
10,447 Posts
Remember.."Better" is a subjective term.

To me, the improvement claims being layed upon 1080p is 75% hogwash and 25% visual improvement. The move from 1080i to 1080p is an incremental step, just like the move from 720p to 1080p is incremental. There may be a million more pixels available, but to the end user the difference will be a slight to moderate improvement. The quality of the display will also come into play here.

Videogames that are internally rendered at 1080p resolution should look sharper than those rendered at 720p. Movies and TV that are created at 1080p (BD, HD-DVD) may or may not look any better at 1080p over 720p.....that depends on the encoding type done, how the HD master was created, the quality of the print used for the master, how much detail is obscured by video noise due to the conversion process and a whole bunch of other factors that I can't talk to....suffice to say, if you're using a projector...the bump to 1080p over 720p should be "more noticible" than someone using a smaller display, say 60" or less.

I have a 1080p set, a 720p projector and a 1080i set. HD looks "about the same" on all three devices. HDDVD on the 1080p set looks good, but it looks basically as good on the 720p projector which is throwing a much bigger image. It alsolooks just as good at 1080i on my RPTV set.

The real area where 1080p has the potential to show marked improvement will again be with videogames.....because everything in a videogame is in focus all the time, unlike a movie or tv show which uses a lens that has a depth of field where distant objects are out of focus, in videogames (unless deliberately designed this way) everything is always in razor sharp focus no matter how far away the object being rendered "is".

But again.....how much that MATTERS is another story too.

The poster above hit the nail on the head: Technology, in particular HD formats, are in a serious case of Diminishing Returns.

In 3 or 4 years Sony or Pioneer or Panasonic will start trying to sell us "Double HD!" sets....its all about convincing you to buy something new.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.