Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all...

I'm trying to connect my HDTV cable box to my CRT projector. I built a vga cable and a vga to component breakout cable as per Mr. Wiggles plans and used these without a problem with a digital projector (VGA in). But am having a problem going to RGBHV. Right now the signal "chain" is component to VGA and then VGA to RGBHV breakout. All I get on the projector is the 'green' signal (which I guess is carrying the sync. info as well).

What do I need to do to convert component (1080i HD box or 480p for that matter) to RGBHV so the projector recognizes the signal? is there a DIY recipe to do this?

Thanks...

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
You need a transcoder to convert the component to RGBHV. Do a search here for HD transcoder and you will find your answer.

Terry

·
Registered
6,141 Posts
Yep. Gotta be that. It's a common connectivity issue. Your signal output is component and must be transcoded to RGB, which your projector can use. The VGA conversion doesn't do it.

If your projector is capable of handling component (and not too many are,) then you don't need a transcoder, just switch it to component.

There is another option: Contact your cable company and tell them that you need them to swap your HDTV box out for one with true RGB rather than component outputs. You won't likely get anywhere with the normal service representative on the phone, though. A personal visit to the local office and a chat with an engineer is going to be required.

Scientific Atlanta (which, hopefully, is a provider to your cable system) has an older model HDTV box which can be field configured for RGB outputs. It's the HD2000 box.

They also make a transcoder that the cable company should be able to provide on request. It's Scientific Atlanta part number 749790. This info comes direct from Scientific Atlanta's PDF file and can be trusted.

CJ

·
Registered
110 Posts
I had the same issue, Motorola digital DVR box (Insight) to Sony CRT. Purchased a box from copperbox.com (Key Digital) that converts component to VGA. Will be getting it today, and if interested in the results, would be happy to post. Unit was $199.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.