Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time posting in the projectior thread -

I am considering purchasing a projector for use in my Living room - I would like to be able to display HD content - either at 1080i or 720p, so a Native XGA (at least) would be prefered, SDTV (PAL), DVD, as well as the occasional video game - via the HTPC i am currently working on.

I would like to Mount it to the ceiling, but would rather not add any joists or make any major modifications to the ceiling.

There are also lighting issues in the living room - such as light leak, white walls, etc. I would like to have a projector that runs at least 1200-1500 Lumens due to that fact. As you can see, i am asking alot - and i would like to stay below $3,500 USD if that is all possible. Can anyone make some reccomendations?

·
Registered
986 Posts
The selection of high quality low cost projectors just gets better and better. Control of ambient light is important, windows blinds, low reflective paint like eggshell or satin make a big difference. As far as a projector goes you will notice a theme to the last two months it is the battle of the Sony HS20, Panny AE500, Sanyo Z2. I have seen all of them and my pick is the HS20, but they are all impressive machines.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
George -

Thanks a ton for your quick reply! I have been doing some limited research on the projectors you mentioned, paying particular attention to the Sony HS20. I live in Mid Michigan - so the opportunity for me to see/ test theese projectors locally is limited. Any chance you may be able to point me to somewhere in the state to see them in person, rather than relying on the Tech Specs? I would be willing to take a road trip to a store acrossed the state, if i knew there was one i could see in action.

Thanks again

·
Registered
267 Posts
The HS-20 is probably a good bet, but won't be on the market til November.

Go look at a HS-10 and you can get some general ideas, though the HS-20 seems to promise an even better picture. HTH

Chris

·
Registered
986 Posts
There is a Classic Stereo and Showcase in both Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo(portage). I believe Grand Rapids is showing a Runco 510 (5grand) and a sharp 10000 (9grand). Kalamazoo is showing a Sony HS10 (2+g) and a Sharp 9000 and a Runco 710.

You could always go see the HS10 in Kalamazoo and if you are happy with it then i would say it is a sure bet that you will be happy with the HS20.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.