AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Toshiba SD-4700 (I think) and I like it a lot, but I'm about to get a new Toshiba 30HF83 TV. I want to know how much difference there is between a regular progressive scan DVD player and the new 1080i DVD players, like the Samsung and Bravo. Is it worth my $300?

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Let's see, assuming good material ...

If a 480p DVD is a 1 and a live HDNET sports broadcast is a 10, I would say 1080i is a 4. Other opinions may vary. Whether that's worth $300 is up to you.

·
Registered
727 Posts
What the new players are offering that is so desireable is more the DVI connection, not their scaling ability. If you don't have DVI I wouldn't waste my money.......even if you do it might pay off to wait a few months.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
It's not a night and day improvement, but I've noticed much more dimensionality and 3d like look to my DVD material. For me HD always had that where DVD's always looked flat. And though the difference is somewhat subtle, it's sure addictive. I've had no desire to hook back up my $1500 (when it came out) ES9000 player since I've had the Sammy 931.

If your TV has DVI and HDCP, you'll notice and appreciate the improvement. Whether that's worth 300 smackers is up to you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.