AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have time warner cable hi-def cable box and new panny hd 42 plasma.

Box has component out and s-video. Component out is 1080i Panny is connected to box via components and svideo.

HERE IS THE PROBLEM:

When watching TV via component the signal flickers for the first 1 min- then I get a blank screen for a second and a "no signal" on the TV, then 20 seconds more of flicker and then the signal is perfect. It is as if the signal is trying to get compatible with the TV.

I am unsure if it is the box or the panny.

Usually I switch the cable box and TV on at the same time- and I have always assumed it was just a faulty cable box that needed to "warm up". But today I left the box on for a few hours with the TV off. I then turned on the TV. The problem occured.

Could the cable box still need to "warm up" when the panny is displaying the component signal. Is it possible that the component out of the cable box only "turns on" when the panny is in component mode?

Or does my panny have problem with the 1080i signal through the component? Issue does not seem to occur when panny component is connected to DVD.

How can I test to see what is causing the problem- the tv or the box?

Help!

·
Premium Member
8,098 Posts
sounds like one or the other is having a problem with sync. Without additional equipment (e.g., a transcoder, or another HDTV compatible screen), it's virtually impossible to find out which one is at fault.

I would call up the cable company and have them replace the unit (just because that's the easiest way to go). If you get the same problem with the new receiver, then you know which one is at fault (the panny).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was afraid that would be the only solution. I don't know how it is in Israel, but we are talking about the cable company here. Getting a new unit will take five hours on the phone, and then three no show appointments, but you are right, it is probably the only way.

Just an update - actually it appears that when the tv is first turned to component there is no flicker for about 30 seconds, then the flicker. Also, today while it was flickering I switched the components to my 480i DVD. No flicker from the DVD - then when I switched back to the cable box - flicker was gone!. Unfortunately I do not have a component switcher- this was all done by hand. Does this help in any way with the diagnosis?

·
Premium Member
8,098 Posts
I had to change a satellite receiver that was malfunctioning (video turned black after an average of 30-40 channel changes...). It took me 30 minutes of on-hold, then 15 minutes to be transferred to the correct individual that sent over a technician. Then, the first technician came and the problem wouldn't show up. The next day it happened again, so I called them again and a second technician showed up but non of the receiver units he had were correct (I needed a special one that had SVideo out). The next day another technician came over and had a replacement receiver. Not a single no-show or 5 hour wait on the phone, but still a monumental headache.

if switching helps, it makes the plasma look more suscipcious, since none of the things you did should have any effect on your satellite decoder.

Still, I would first try to have the STB replaced, and only then contact Panny.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.