AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very interested in the Samsung HLM507W DLP set, but I have one question. Many of the HDTV cable boxes and satellite boxes output in 1080i format. I know that the the 507 will accept that format and convert it to 720p, but what about picture quality after the conversion? Does it still look great, or would I be better to buy a set that can display the 1080i natively?

This set is expensive, and I want it to look as good and last as long as possible. Is there a different set that I should be looking at that can better handle 1080i input?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have the 507 and Time Warner Digital cable with an HD box. I think High Def looks incredible on the set. Do not see any degradation of the picture after the conversion.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Networks are broadcasting HD content in different formats (ie. ABC in 720p, CBS in 1080i, etc.). All STBs "sideconvert" to the non-native format for a given TV so all channels can be viewed or you can have an STB pass through the received resolution for the TV to sideconvert.

You can choose to puchase a TV with 720p native display (ABC and rumored ESPN broadcast next year) or choose a technology with 1080i native. In either case, their will be sideconversion for some channels by either the STB or TV as very few TVs display both resolutions natively.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.