AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize if this in the archives somewhere, but I just realized that some people might be using transcoders with D-ILAs so that they can send 1080i material to an RGB input. I searched, but didn't find any references to this.

I'm using a 30k with my JVC M20 and video based 1080i material generally looks incredible. For film based 1080i material I would put my HTPC output with ZoomPlayer at the top (let's give that a 9.5 for reference) and then I would be putting about 7.5-8 for 1080i material over component and DVD material through TheaterTek (other than the Star Wars 2 DVD, which is higher). Yes, I think they are very close in general. One reason is probably that with Dilard I have calibrated the projector to its best over the computer input and the pixel perfect 1360x1024 with SXGA3 works very well. This is where I get the best shadow detail. Over component my blacks are a little crushed and the colors are different (taking off a CC10R makes them close to the RGB input).

Anyway, I've heard that the component input is not the best on these projectors and I'm wondering what other people have done about this. I don't want to spend $3k or $4k on an external scaler, but I'm looking into what the Samsung T165 could do for me. I would be able to use it to go all digital path to my HT1000 with DVI and I'm thinking that it might work as a transcoder for some material (I heard D-Theater stuff won't go out RGB, though).

I doubt that it matters too much, but I generally use a Panamorph all the time.

If a transcoder is a good idea, recommendations would be welcome. I have about 100 tapes of HD material and over half of those are films. If I could make those look 10% better by spending $200 or $300 it would be worth it.

Thanks,

Darin

·
Registered
826 Posts
Darin,

Sorry, can't exactly make out what you're trying to ask.:).

In any case, there was a thread here about a year or two ago that seem to definitevly prove that Computer2 produces a better picture for HDTV than Video (component). I remember the thread, with its screen shots etc.

IRC, seemed that the conclusion was that the computer inputs had higher bandwidth capacity than the video inputs.

Theoretically, a properly designed component to RGBHV transcoder, doing good HDTV colorimetry conversion should yield a better signal than directly connecting the 30K to the DILA.

Personally, I haven't tried this (using a transcoder) because frankly, I am quite satisfied with the image I get from the JVC 30K connected to the DILA's component input. This might have to do with the source (30K).

However, everything else I use - HTPC/E*6000/myHD etc, are connected to Computer2.

Enjoy.

Andrew.

Edit: Correction of port names

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by midi-guy
Sorry, can't exactly make out what you're trying to ask.:).
Thanks, Andrew. I think you got it. Basically, my questions are:

1. Would 1080i from the 30k look better going through a transcoder and into a computer input than going into the component input?

2. If the answer to #1 is "Yes", then does anybody recommend a good transcoder?

Thanks,

Darin

·
Registered
340 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by midi-guy
In any case, there was a thread here about a year or two ago that seem to definitevly prove that Computer1 produces a better picture for HDTV than Video (component).
I believe that Computer 1 does not support HDTV, only Computer 2, right?

·
Registered
826 Posts
Chris,

You are right...

I meant Computer2, the one w/ BNC connectors.

I'll edit the post accordingly.

Andrew.

·
Registered
826 Posts
bwiklem said

Quote:
I want to see the Audio Authority version. I have the Key Digital one
That's interesting...

The one you have, is that the one with the 2 DB15 ports?.

I remember looking at getting one a while back, but the one KD makes now seems to be different from the one I saw on their site earlier.

Andrew.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by darinp
I apologize if this in the archives somewhere, but I just realized that some people might be using transcoders with D-ILAs so that they can send 1080i material to an RGB input. I searched, but didn't find any references to this.
I did. Check my post on the M15 comment.

HD 1080i component to KD transcoder to M15 5 BNCs (computer2). Picture looks wonderful IMO. Never try direct component connection though.

regards,

Li On

·
Registered
27,569 Posts
Is anyone running a RGB cable out of their HD set top box??

My Zenith 520 DSS / OTA box, does have RGB out, but have not tried it.

I watched the master's yesterday on OTA CBS and it looked nice but noticed some moire for the first time on my microperf.

Was wondering if it is the down-resing artifacts from 1080i to the native 1365 X 1024 panel (I am using the component outputs from the Zenith.

The signal was O.K. noticed some pixelating.

How would you guys recommend cleaning up the picture? RGB cable to start. Any changes at the projector level??

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After looking at prices and things I decided to skip the transcoder and buy the Samsung SIR-T165 for about $570 shipped. I'll then use this for running my 30k through. The MPEG2 decoder is said to be better than the one on the 30k and I'll be able to playback DTheater material to DVI on my HT1000, as well as using it for component and RGB to my M20 D-ILA.

Thanks for the help.

--Darin

·
Registered
27,569 Posts
Actually, I think I meant using the VGS (computer) output from the Zenith HD set top box to the PC2 input on the DILA.

Would this be the best way to get HD from the Zenith to the DILA

·
Registered
9,223 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by thebland
I watched the master's yesterday on OTA CBS and it looked nice but noticed some moire for the first time on my microperf.

You mean you actually watched Television? Is this the new Jeff we will be hearing from. What's next - 8 Simple Rules or Will & Grace?

Sorry, I couldn't resist it! :p

·
Registered
27,569 Posts
O.K. I did.

Look what happened though......moire!

I'll never watch again;-)

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Jeff,

If it helps any, on my DTC100 I use the DB15 out to RGBHV(Comp2) of the G11 DILA and the image is top shelf.

Gee, I'd give almost anything to watch a Hi Def broadcast of the Masters! Or the Final Four, or Monday Night Footbal, or............ :mad:

No OTA in my little neck of the world. :(

Chris

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.