AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about getting a Hughes DirecTV HDTV receiver. It converts all output to 1080i. I am wondering how well it will perform with my projector.

I am worried about the receiver upconverting a 720P Superbowl feed to 1080i and the subsequent downconverting that will take place on my projector.

I have a Sharp M20X projector and a 92 x 52 screen. This projector has a '16:9' mode which utilizes 1024x576 pixels. In this mode, it will accept 480P DVD 'anamorphic feeds'. Movies are playing great.

For 480i digital cable source, I use an onption on the projector to convert them to progressive. I can tell a big difference when I utilize this feature.

The projector will not do this for a 1080i feed.

My guess is the projector uses only the first of two interfaced frames (1920x540) for an easy conversion to 1024x576.

Is this a decent assumption? If not, why would the projector not offer a progressive conversion option for 1080i?

Also, the superbowl this year will be 720P. So the satellite reciever would upconvert to 1080i. When my projector tries to 'downconvert' to 1024x576, will it likely result as if it were downconverting a direct 720P source?

Thanks.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.