AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has ben discussed MANY times, but I can't seem to find it on this forum board. Is 1080p really all it's cracked up to be by the manufacturers? I am looking to purchase either a 46" 1080i or 1080p by the same manufacturer, but the difference in price is about $500. It is really worth it? Won't all images be scaled to 1080i/p respectively? From what I understand, the PQ depends on the scaler in the tv.

I have been thinking about this for the last few days and don't know if I can justify the extra $ for the 1080p. I have an xbox 360, which in my opinion, looks similiar/same in both formats on a 47" LCD.

Any opinions and help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't believe the 360 supports 1080p. (I thought it ran at 720p)

IMHO, it's only really worth purchasing if you own a BlueRay dvd player or PS3.

·
Registered
308 Posts
since the last update, the xbox 360 now supports 1080p.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Just remember, there is no such thing as a 1080i LCD.

·
Registered
233 Posts
necrolop is correct. LCD displays are either 768p (might still be some 720ps out there, but few and far between) or 1080p. My personal opinion is go for the 1080p as it is more "future proof" than the others. There is currently no 1080p broadcast, but there will be at some point in the future. It will also allow you to fully utilize BD and/or HD DVD.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
A 1080p set with a good 1080i deinterlacer will show BR and HD-DVD at 1080i the same as 1080p. If you want to see all the resolution that is there in a 1080i picture, you have to have a 1920x1080p set. The only problem is you will be spoiled by BR and HD-DVD and see the less resolution of other sources.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I was thinking about getting the Westy 37w3 for the 1080p. I have both a 360 and a PS3. I also have the HD-DVD add-on for the 360. I could take advantage of 1080p for both BR and HD-DVD but my one hold up is, watching content that isn't 1080i or 1080p. There's still a lot of programming I watch in SD and even watching it on a 1366x768 set it doesn't look all that great. I can just imagine how bad it's going to look on a 1920x1080 set.

·
Registered
62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill /forum/post/0

A 1080p set with a good 1080i deinterlacer will show BR and HD-DVD at 1080i the same as 1080p. If you want to see all the resolution that is there in a 1080i picture, you have to have a 1920x1080p set. The only problem is you will be spoiled by BR and HD-DVD and see the less resolution of other sources.

A 1080i set with an equivalent 1080i deinterlacer will also show BR and HD-DVD just as good as the set you describe.

All 1080 I or P LCD's have panels that are 1920x1080, so the resolution (number of pixels in the picture) will be the same on both.

It's true, that the 1080i signals have half as much information as 1080p signals, but the panels, and the pictures on them will have the same resolution.

A set that can understand a 1080p signal will update all the pixels that are changing in every frame.

Given a 1080i input signal any 1080 panel will have to deinterlace the frames to decide what to show for the pixels not included in the current frame. Some pSet's do this better than others, but it's very possible for a 1080i set (one that can only handle a 1080i signal) to do a better job deinterlacing than a 1080p set with a lesser de-interlacer.

Deinterlacing is not an area to skimp on these days since there is no 1080p TV content on the airwaves, cable, or satellite. (yet)

Peoples preference for 1080p comes from the fact that it's easier to display the full image data, than to try to 'guess' (educated guesses from the previous (and possibly the next future frame data) at the missing lines that were dropped from each frame. Some TV's are much better at guessing this info than others.

Be careful though, there are many cases of manufacturers and retailers listing any TV set with a 1920x1080 resolution panel as a 1080p TV. Even when the set **Can NOT** process a 1080p signal. It's the signal processing that makes a 1080p Set!

When the data is available (HD-DVD and BluRay Players, PS3 and Xbox360 Game boxes, and Computer signals) then a set that accepts a 1080p picture will produce the better image. When the data isn't available (Current HDTV signals) the best de-interlacer will win.

Note that a good de-interlacer is a priority even on a 720 (or 768) line panel that knows how to process a 1080i signal too. This processing generally happens before the 'downscaling' (you want a good down scaler too.) Having a good down/upscaler won't fix bad de-interlacing.

-Kyle

·
Registered
62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setzer /forum/post/0

I was thinking about getting the Westy 37w3 for the 1080p. I have both a 360 and a PS3. I also have the HD-DVD add-on for the 360. I could take advantage of 1080p for both BR and HD-DVD but my one hold up is, watching content that isn't 1080i or 1080p. There's still a lot of programming I watch in SD and even watching it on a 1366x768 set it doesn't look all that great. I can just imagine how bad it's going to look on a 1920x1080 set.

Like De-interlacers, up and down scalers come in many different qualities.

It may seem like the higher resolution means that upscaler would have a harder time of generating the missing info. At times that may be true, but an offsetting factor is that with the higher resolution the upscaler has the ability to make more smaller variations of the pixels between the pixels it has data for, and in many cases I would think that a good one would produce a much smother image going from 480->1080 than it would from 480-720.

-Kyle

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the info. I currently have a 37" Olevia with a great picture (1080i). I recently purchased (returned first for speaker humm) a 47" Vizio from Costco (1080p..display and input). Great picture for xbox 360, but horrible for Sd and just OK on HD. Is this the quality of the tv that makes the Vizio look worse? It's going back and I was thinking of a Samsung LNS4692D 46" or Samsung LN-S4695D, the later stating it's 1080p but also about $500 more than the first. Are either of thes tvs a good choice? I don't want to have to worry about returning another tv for the horrible picture.

All that aside, I'm still confused as to go with the 1080p or not. I don't plan on getting a HDDVD or BR any time soon, so that's not an issue. It may come into question in th future though whn prices drop significanly. I mainly use the tv for xbox 360 games and hd/sd television. I sit about 10' from the screen. From what I've read, the 1080p is not going to make that much, if any, of a noticeable difference. I know this issue is very confusing and there are a lot of varibles in the equation, I just don't know what to do.

Any more help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nevermind on the Samsung question, unless you still choose to give your opinion. I found links within the forum that talk about each. I don't know if they're compared to each other, but I'll take a look. I'm still looking for help on the 1080i/p.

Thanks

·
Registered
146 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermanmb /forum/post/0

It's going back and I was thinking of a Samsung LNS4692D 46" or Samsung LN-S4695D, the later stating it's 1080p but also about $500 more than the first. Are either of thes tvs a good choice? I don't want to have to worry about returning another tv for the horrible picture.

All that aside, I'm still confused as to go with the 1080p or not. I don't plan on getting a HDDVD or BR any time soon, so that's not an issue. It may come into question in th future though whn prices drop significanly. I mainly use the tv for xbox 360 games and hd/sd television. I sit about 10' from the screen. From what I've read, the 1080p is not going to make that much, if any, of a noticeable difference. I know this issue is very confusing and there are a lot of varibles in the equation, I just don't know what to do.

Any more help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I was torn between those two same Samsungs also. I chose the LN-S4695 because I plan to keep this set for at least 10 years and technology is quickly moving forward. I feel that the extra money spent "future proofs" my TV. 5 years from now, I don't want to say to myself, "gosh, I should've got the 1080p".

The LN-S4695 has an extra component input over the LN-S4692 which for me was a neccessity. Some here say that the component connection provides equal picture quality and sometimes better than HDMI.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermanmb /forum/post/0

Nevermind on the Samsung question, unless you still choose to give your opinion. I found links within the forum that talk about each. I don't know if they're compared to each other, but I'll take a look. I'm still looking for help on the 1080i/p.

Thanks

I think you're confusing signal resolution and display resolution.

The Olevia you have is a 768p display that is capable of accepting a 1080i signal. The Visio is a 1080p display that is capable of accepting both 1080i and 1080p signals. Both TVs will assuredly accept 720p signals.

As for the Samsungs, ths xx92 is a 768p display and the xx95 is a 1080p display. That's where the $500 difference comes in. Whether you need a 1080p display or not is dependent on many factors, which include seating distance, sources, PC use, XBox/PS3 use, Blu-Ray/HD-DVD use, etc.

Personally, I went 1080p because I knew that I want to hook up a Mac to the TV. The extra resolution makes a huge difference on my 46" TV.

ft

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
When I said lower resolution I ment 1080i/p (and 720p) signals with less than 1920x1080 which is just about everything but BR and HD DVD. Then throw in not enough bit rate and not good enough compression. Well, you'll see every artifact that is there. 1920x1080p displays are a blessing and a curse. For all around viewing a 720p panel is probably a better choice but if you want to see the best, it has to be a 1080p. As far as 1080i vs 1080p input, 1080p only matters for computer and console video games at this point.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.