AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watching a Sony HDTV via a HD cable box (Motorola DCH3200), which would be the better choice for the output format (setting on HD cable box) 1080i or 720p?

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,723 Posts
There is no best choice for all hardware. Try both and see what looks better.

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
It can depend upon whether the box or the TV is better at converting. If the TV is better (often) then leave the box on 'native' setting if possible. If the box is better then you may get a better picture by setting it to convert to the native rez of your TV.

But as many have mentioned above it is easy and best to just try various options and see which is better in your own special case. Make sure to test against both some 1080i and 720p broadcasts.

- Tom

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So far it appears that the 1080i setting produces a slightly better picture. As soon as I have a chance to view some sports channels I know for sure.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
If you have a 1080p TV and you are watching a 1080i broadcast you certainly don't want to downscale the 1080i down to 720p in the STB by eliminating over half of its detail and send that to your TV which will then try and reinvent the content of the million pixels that were deleated.

If you have a 720p TV and are watching a 1080i broadcast then you have to see if the STB or the TV does a better job of downsclaing.

I have a 720p HDTV and watch a lot of 720 programming from ABC so I have my Motorolora box output in 720p. If I did not watch a lot of 720p programing I would have it output in 1080i since my TV downscales 1080i to 720p better then my Motorola box but the difference is hardly noticable.

In any case you want the Motorola to send 4:3 aspect ratio SD programs to the TV in either 480i 480p.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My TV will do 1080p from a capable source via one of it's HDMI hookups. I have the TV hooked up to my Motorola Cable box via HDMI. Cox Communications is my Cable Provider and their HD Box came pre-set to output "720p and Keep 4:3 image - 480i".

HD stations all come out as 720p when uisng the HDMI from cable box to my TV. However, when I select the TV Input (NON-HDMI) on my TV and watch a local HD station via the TV's tuner, it will output the local HD stations in their native format i.e. some are 1080i and some are 720p (as you mentioned ABC being one of them). Unfortunately signals coming through from the Cable Box via HDMI Input on the TV will make all stations 720p regardless of their original output.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
You can set a Motorola 3200 box to output all 16:9 programs in either 720p or 1080i. Apparently yours is currently set to 720p.

Separatly you can set all 4:3 aspect ratio programs to override using an HD resolution and output them at either 480i or 480p.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
When I first got my 612ViP Dish Receiver I set it to 720p even though I have a 1080p set. I then changed it to 1080i and I noticed a improved picture so now I leave it on that. Even the 720p channels like FOX, ABC and ESPN look fine at 1080i. Also I watch a lot of SD channels and they look fine too although the edges do look blocky if you go close to the TV.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts