AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever gotten this to work? I've read posts using the search engine of people getting it to work using a dongle but what about DVI? Using the component inputs on my set would defeat the purpose I built a HTPC for so that's not an option. 960x540 looks pretty good but I can see tiny scan lines under certain circumstances. I was hoping 1080i might get rid of those.

It's a radeon 7000 using latest drivers from the ATi site. Latest powerstrip. Win2k.

·
Registered
249 Posts
The problem is, the only way radeon drivers support interlacing (that I am aware of) is through the ATI dongle. I run 1080i out of the dvi-component adapter so it's obviously possible, but I believe any other way either will not work or will not allow the overlay to work.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is consistent with what I've found digging through the archives here. Most of the posts are a bit old though so I was hoping someone has found a way to make it work.

Can GeForce cards do 1080i through DVI?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a Radeon 8500DV, I currently have it hooked up from DVI to DVI/HDCP using a DVI cable and I have successfully had it work with my RCA Scenium HD61W140 without any problems. I have viewed resolutions in 480p, 540p and 1080i (1920 x 1080i)

Have you tried the timings on the custom resolution guide below:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=206854

I was able to run my DVI at most of the settings listed there.

I ran 480p, 540p without any overscan or underscan (perfect fit) and 1080i had slight overscan but it looked very nice. my desktop was huge and most text was unreadable at 1920x1080i.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you do anything that wasn't in Karnis' guide to get 1080i to work? I guess it's possible I missed something when I was trying it.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In the main powerstrip window for advanced timings, the interlaced option is greyed out. It hasn't always been that way though. Any idea why or how I can make it selectable again?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
On Radeon models, interlaced resolutions should still work without the use of the dongle as long as you are using VMR9 instead of the standard Windows Overlay for video. I'd like to hear if anyone has successfully used 1920x1080i through DVI on a Radeon using VMR.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Isn't VMR9 specific to windows XP?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a Radeon 9700 (not pro) and am using it to output to an Hitachi 57GWX20B. When I run 540p timings, my TV calls them 1080i. I suspect this is because of the 60 Hz refresh rate?

It looks good to me, but I question if it is actually the same as either 1080i or 540p. Am I loosing resolution because the TV is essentially line doubling my 540p into 2 1080i fields? Or is this essentially what 1080i is?

Any comments on this?

·
Registered
249 Posts
You're not losing any resolution because you ARE seeing 540 lines doubled into 1080 fields, but at twice the refresh rate. From everything I understand, this is exactly how 540P works, so you shouldn't be missing anything.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Dammit!
In the main powerstrip window for advanced timings, the interlaced option is greyed out. It hasn't always been that way though. Any idea why or how I can make it selectable again?

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Littje, 540p and 1080i are not quite the same thing if your TV can separate more than 540 horizontal lines...

In a perfect world, 1080i has a resolution of 1080x1920, and each pixel is refreshed every 1/30th of a second.

In this same perfect world, 540p has a resolution of 540*1920, and each pixel is refreshed every 1/60th of a second

(keep in mind, that save for the rare 9" CRT projector, or a Sony GDM-W900, it is hard to see the full 6.2 megapixels (that is using the way people count for digicams...!)

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Grrrr..... man I can't figure out what's changed that made that interlaced option become greyed out. I couldn't get it to work correctly when it was there but at least it let me experiment with it.

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
"I have a Radeon 9700 (not pro) and am using it to output to an Hitachi 57GWX20B. When I run 540p timings, my TV calls them 1080i. I suspect this is because of the 60 Hz refresh rate? "

More likely it is detecting the 33.75KHz scan rate. 540p runs at ~60Hz, 1080i at 30Hz.

·
Registered
240 Posts
D1) Is the Panasonic AE 300 output via DVI much better in resolution as compared to VGA ( other 2 projectors has no DVI ) : Are there any issues ?

the article talked about L300 delivers HDTV 1080i with somewhat better image sharpness and detail. ( http://www.projectorcentral.com/l300_x1.htm

QN 2: I would presume this applies to 720 p as well ( which technically is better than 1080 i )

QN 3 ) As my country has no HDTV , I am wandering if this 1080 i or 720 p superiority in image sharpeness is applicable to scaling up analog sources ( VHS, cable TV) via D scaler to the projector

a) ( D scaler should be able to scale up analog sources up to 720 p or 1080 i ??

qn 4 : which means via the AE 300, i get sharper 1080 i image when viewing VHS tapes and cable TV ? I WOULD ACTUALLY THINK THAT IT"S NOTHING TO DO WITH THE PROJECTOR BUT MORE TO DO WITH THE D Scaler Software

·
Registered
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dammit! It's a radeon 7000 using latest drivers from the ATi site. Latest powerstrip. Win2k. [/b]
The ATI dongle only works with 8500, 9500 and 9700 series cards. I'm not sure about the new 9800 cards.

See http://mirror.ati.com/products/pc/hd...ter/index.html

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm not using the dongle. DVI.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dammit!
The only thing that I think most people might miss in the guide that helped me was settings the monitor to Sony GDM W900 (I think is what it said).

Other than that I didn't do anything special. 1920x1080i looks sweeet.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by palli
The only thing that I think most people might miss in the guide that helped me was settings the monitor to Sony GDM W900 (I think is what it said).

Other than that I didn't do anything special. 1920x1080i looks sweeet.
Is this regardless of your TV? I have a JVC 48" RPTV.....Using the DVI in from a Radeon 8500. It works ok, but Wondering if I would have more options with this monitor setting?

Jimmy

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I'm somewhat curious if anyone has managed to scale TV (Re: cable input) through their AIW using DVI or a transcoder to 1080i on their set?

Just curious if that was possible or if it would even work or even improve the picture at all?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.