AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With more and more High Def channels coming out I have found that I really don't want to watch anything else. I currently have a NEC XG-110 PJ which I am running a High Def cable box and a Panasonic RP82 progressive DVD player. I guess my question is how can I get 1080i pic quality all the time weather I am watching a DVD or cable? I am thinking that it is time to purchase some type of video processor. Am I on the right track here? If so what should I be looking for?

Rick

·
Registered
541 Posts
In short, you can't get DVD's to look like HDTV. DVD's are 480 lines and no more . You can scale them, interlace them (progressive) and on and on, but you will never create detail which wasn't there to begin with. HDTV images simply have more raw information to work with than do DVD's.

However, you may significantly increase your image quality by investing in a quality video processor to run your dvd's through. There's lots of good suggestions in that part of the forum.

Patrick

·
Registered
18,501 Posts
Why not get a component to RGB converter for the DVD player? Then you'll get 480p which is pretty close to 1080i. THe cable box should upconvert all non HD channels to 1080i, but the quality will lack compared to true HD.

At least that's what my 6000 receiver does.

Curt

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Rick, I think you are asking if you can run 1080i as the resolution for your CRT all the time regardless of the source. If this is the case - yes you can with a scaler. I do something similar right now. I used to have an RP82 but now I have a Denon 1600 (same **** different wrapper). Here is how I set this up:

Denon 1600 DVD / Bell Express Vu 6000 HD receiver > FE CS-1 Scaler > Extron 109 plus > Barco Graphics 808s

I have the Express Vu 6000 set to output 720P. I have the Focus Enhancments CS-1 Scaler set to output 720P for the Denon 1600 DVD.

So when I watch HD Satellite, I set my scaler to VGA Pass through. So the Barco uses its "720P" memory setting.

When I watch DVD's I set the input on the scaler to progressive component input (Denon 1600). The FE CS-1 will output ...... 720P so the Barco will also use the "720P" memory setting.

I could easily do the same with a 1080i setting.

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Technically no, not really, but the difference a good HTPC makes for upscaling dvd's once you up your pj resolution really does show a major improvement.

My experience is only with HTPC's, not scalers, but I can say quite honestly I will never run a dvd in native resolution again on my FP's, the difference is clearly obvious when you've done it right and getting your source matched to the sweet spot of the pj makes a real difference expecially with a machine like yours.

I imagine the higher end processors can do the same magic.

(you wont get 1080i from a HTPC easily, nor do you need or want to. )

You can scale to the optimum resolution for your pj and with a XG the difference will be quite clear.

Troy

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
If you want an easy solution for DVD playback check out the Momitsu DVD player -- many posts inthe DVD hardware section. It's the only DVD player that scales to 720p or 1080i from it's vga analog output.

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
I won't run 480p for NTSC even into my 1251 - I use 576p, or I can see scanlines.

With an XG you should scale DVD to something like 720p. But it wont look as good as HD, the information just isn't there in the picture.

So yes, you need a scaler, but it won't do miracles.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info. First yet I am already using a RGB converter so this is taken care of. It sounds like I should run 720P instead of 1080i, why is this? What would I be looking at for the cost of a used CS-1? I was looking at my cable box last night and yes I can also run this at 720P also so I will look at making the change over. I here everyone talk about 1080i but last night when I was reading the forum I see more and more people running 720P. Is it that much better looking?

Rick

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Forget about what other people run, aside from being a hint at what to try.

Simply try different settings to find what works best on YOUR projector. Too many factors involved to say that all xxxx projectors should use x resolution. IT depends on how well it is set up, how well the electronics are working, your screen size and viewing distance etc.

To upscale or not to upscale, that is the question, and the answer is simply yes.

Troy

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess I want to know why people scale at 720P over 1080i? Is there benefits to this? I am seeing more and more people doing this.

Rick

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
No interlace artifacts such as jaggies on the edges of moving objects.

Troy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.