AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm really stumped on this - maybe you can provide guidance...

If I have footage that is provided at 1080i, 30fps and I want to convert to 1080p to edit (Movie will be shown on line) I continue to get a double image, not a motion blur) where the camera pans quickly. I am using the default settings in my conversion software - am I missing something?

I just want to know if there is a way to use only one field from the 1080i footage and dump the other field? Is this how the conversion is usually done? Any recommendations for Mac software that can do this?

Thanks for the input!

Brian

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Many software based deinterlacers just reduce the framerate, because they assume 29,97fps are sufficient for smooth playback. While this might be true for online playback, it's nonsense for video based home entertainment playback.

To start, there is no source format which is 1080i, 30fps. What you have is likely 1080i with 60 fields per second which result in 30 frames per second (1080p30).

To use just a single field from the 1080i source and "dump" the other one is the worst thing you can do. This way you're actually reducing the vertical resolution of your video to a mere 540 lines and upscale those to a full 1080 lines which of course results in blurry video.

What you need to do is to use a pixel adaptive deinterlacer which compares every field to it's successor and decides which areas to interpolate and which to weave together. On the output you can then choose if you want 1080p29,97 which limits the smooth motion you've originally recorded or 1080p59,94 which offers full smooth playback, but you might run into problems finding a proper codec to support the resulting video online.

On the windows front Virtual Dub (Freeware) can do all this. No idea about OSX though, sorry.

PS: not really the right forum over here, try your luck on the forums of http://www.doom9.org/ instead.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Fudoh,

The footage came from the Panasonic HDC HS250 camcorder which lists it's highest quality as 1080i, 30 fps. I know, it seems strange. My Canon shoots 1080i, 60 fps or 1080p, 30fps.

Thanks for the directions as to how to convert it - I wasn't sure if I was missing something. I assume, what I'm seeing when I convert as I have been is accurate, it's just a matter of finding software that does what you say.

Cheers!

Brian

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I'm pretty sure that what Panasonic calls 1080i 30fps is actually the same your Canon records at 1080i60.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts