AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that we finally see some movement from the Blu Ray and HD DVD camp, the 1080p/24 now becomes more prevalent.

However, this question is not about 1080 resloution on a 720p projector since 1080p will be scaled down to whatever resolution the projector is. However, is the 24 frame issue an issue?

There is talk about smoother panning of cameras etc when no converstion of an HD DVD or Blu Ray disc is displayed since it is encoded at 24 frames per second. I have my xbox360 hd dvd drive connected to an LCD HD tv which runs at 720p/60 and it looks like it pans smoothly enought to me. Perhaps on a 8ft image it would not look as smooth?

Anyone got any thoughts.

I am interested in the AX100 and Z5 and I know the Z5 does not support 24 frames per second but gives probably the sharpest image on the 720p market at the moment.

Thanks

· Registered
23,129 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhain1 /forum/post/0

Now that we finally see some movement from the Blu Ray and HD DVD camp, the 1080p/24 now becomes more prevalent.

However, this question is not about 1080 resloution on a 720p projector since 1080p will be scaled down to whatever resolution the projector is. However, is the 24 frame issue an issue?

DVDs, most TV (other than docs) is 24fps also. HD DVD and Blu-ray are not unique in this.

Quote:
There is talk about smoother panning of cameras etc when no converstion of an HD DVD or Blu Ray disc is displayed since it is encoded at 24 frames per second. I have my xbox360 hd dvd drive connected to an LCD HD tv which runs at 720p/60 and it looks like it pans smoothly enought to me. Perhaps on a 8ft image it would not look as smooth?

It's kind of hard to say. Really I don't think one can fully appreciate the difference between the 3:2 cadence associated with 24fps on 60Hz displays vs an even cadence on a 24x display (ie one that can do 48Hz, 72Hz, etc). I know that was the case for me.

Quote:
I am interested in the AX100 and Z5 and I know the Z5 does not support 24 frames per second but gives probably the sharpest image on the 720p market at the moment.

Remember display is only half the equation, you need a source that can output (or a video processor that can convert) 24/48/72Hz video. The 360 doesn't do that, nor AFAIK, do any of the HD DVD or Blu-ray players. They're all 1080p60 AFAIK.

PCs can do 48Hz output, but they've got a ways to go before they're ready for prime time IMO.

· Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ah I see, so the only way to utilise 24fps on a projector is to use a processor between the HD DVD drive and projector to output 24.

That answers my question and I don't think its an issue which means I can go for either the Z5 or the AX100

· Registered
23,129 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhain1 /forum/post/0

ah I see, so the only way to utilise 24fps on a projector is to use a processor between the HD DVD drive and projector to output 24.

Or to have a player that outputs it.

FWIW, if you're planning on keeping the PJ for a while (longer than your player) I'd definitely go with one that will lock to a multiple of 24Hz.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.