AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologise if my specific question as been asked and answered elsewhere, but the other threads covering this topic don't appear to directly answer my question.

So... I have a Sony PS3 connected via an HDMI 1.3a cable into a Denon 3808CI and on through another HDMI 1.3a cable into my Mitsubishi WD-65733.

I realize that movies are shot in 24fps and that the PS3 can output this signal as either 1080p/24 or 1080p/60. My gear all along the chain can pass either signal into the Mits just fine.

However, to the best of my knowledge the Mits is still a 60hz only set and if I send in a 1080p/24 it's going to do a 3:2 pulldown to produce 1080p/60. (If I'm wrong on this particuliar point with regard to how my Mits handles 1080p/24 someone please correct me.)

In an ideal world I realize there should be No difference as to wether the PS3 performs the 3:2 pulldown or whether my Mits does. However, we all live in the real world. I know for a fact that the line doubler in my 6 year old 46" was so bad that I gladly forked over $700 for an Iscan Pro to offload the 480i to 480p conversion. (This particuliar set had a "red bleed" artifact that was introduced by the line-doubler in squeeze mode that was very obvious... using an external line-doubler that did it's own squeezing completely elliminated this problem for me). Now I haven't noticed anything so significant with my new gear, but the point is the same... some hardware does some jobs better than other hardware.

So... in others' experience... will the PS3 or the Mits do a better job? Or more specifically should I set my PS3 to output 1080p/60 or lock it in at 1080p/24?

Thanks,

-Alan

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
If your TV does not accept a 24fps signal, then you need to output /60p. However, some TVs will accept the signal yet do a pull UP and then DOWN. I think the likelihood of the TV doing a better job than the player is minimal, as it has to do TWO operations, rather than one, so I would set the player to /60p in your case. However, the best way to decide is to try it each way. It won't hurt any of your gear.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To be clear. The Mitsubishi WD-65733 does accept 1080p/24, 1080p/30, and 1080p/60. Here's a link to the owner's manual (refer to page 58/Appendix A, table in the lower left corner of the page "EIA-861D..."):

http://mitsubishitv.com/img/458080/WD-65733%20Owner's%20Guide.pdf

I do realize that ultimately, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"... and I have tried setting the PS3 both ways... and I feel like I can see a difference, but I would struggle to characterize how it was different... or even which is "better". Of course, it doesn't help that the Mits. is very slow at switching between resolutions/refresh rates and to change this option on the PS3 it's down via an on-screen system menu... so you have to exit and re-enter the movie. If you haven't seen it... the point is you can't do a quick A/B comparison... it takes like 30-45 seconds for me to display one image, go into the menus, change it... and then wait for the TV to switch modes.

I can't be the only one with a PS3 and this TV on this forum... and certainly there are other PS3 owners with a TV that accepts 1080p/24 and then converts it to 1080p/60.... although their experiences wouldn't be quite as applicable... it would be interesting to see what people, in general think.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
In that case, I would simply pick a setting and leave it alone, particularly if the difference is not clear. But I'm not as much of a tweaker as some (as I've come to learn in these fora--in the real world, people who know me think of me as an inveterate tinkerer. They ought to hang out at AVS for awhile
).

In my case, as an example, I chose a Toshiba A2 vs the A3 (both at the same price that day in the store) because the A2 can send 480i via HDMI (the A3 can't) and my PJ has very good processing. I compared the A2 upconversion of SD DVD to my PJ doing all the work and while I might be tempted to say the PJ does an ever so slightly better job, the difference is so slight that I can't be bothered to go to the set up menu each time I pop in a disc (if it was a dedicated button on the remote, I might make the switch) so I let the A2 do all the work to avoid forgetting to reset it to hi-def output with HD DVDs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts