AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to write down some of the experiences I made during the last three weeks. If you dont mind I would like to focus my writing on the playback of 1080p material (video is AVC of VC1, audio is AC3 or DTS, everything is in a m2ts container).

Hardware: I am using a Pioneer LX5090H (1920x1080 Plasma TV) and a HTPC with onboard Realtec soundchip and a Radeon HD2600XP graphics card. The rest should not matter.

Software: Vista64 and Zoomplayer with the latest plugins (filters, renderers, etc.). Catalyst 8.12 and Reclock 1.8.3.0. In the latest catalyst driver you can choose 23.976 Hz which of course is crutial for a good playback of bluray material. That is also the reason why I did not use PowerStrip. Although in my testing I tried that too.

Without Reclock

1.) I do not know what you see in your home theaters, but in my setup it was not possible to play any 1080p (bluray) material smoothly. I always had some kind of tearing / stuttering. Of course it was different with different renderers and it was different depending on the material (AVC or VC1).

2.) To me it seems to be that the renderer has the main impact. So far I tried VMR9 Windowless, VMR9 Renderless, Haali and EVR. I tried it with Aero on and off. I also tried VSync on and off in the catalyst driver. There was no way to get a smooth picture. The best results I got with Haali and VMR9 Renderless in Exclusive mode.

3.) With the Haali Renderer I could reduce the tearing to a minimum. Although I never could eliminate it completely. I still lost some frames every once in a while. With VMR9 Renderless Exclusive i got a smooth picture but the sound did not match the picture. To be honest I did not test that mode to much. You can not use your computer for other things while you wath a movie. I did not like that at all.

I am wondering if it is just me who has these problems. Some people seem to be happy with their setup. Is it that they just do not see the dropped frames or is there really no tearing. Some people seem to just use PowerDVD. I tried version 8 Ultra. Same thing.

With Reclock

1.) Reclock of course can be set up in many different ways. If you do it correctly you get a smooth picture. But it has some disadvantages too. I will get to that later. Some of you might know anyway. Firstly I red the manual and set up everything accordingly. For the start I did not use AC3 encoder and I did not accept SPDIF formats. With the Haali Renderer i get a perfect somooth picture. No tearing no stuttering. I even could do hardware resampling. With EVR there is still tearing. I can not remember the results with VMR9. It did not matter to me since I was happy with Haali anyway. Although it would be interesting to know why there is still tearing with EVR. The big disadvantage in this setup is that you just get stereo sound.

2.) Then I tried to accept SPDIF formats. The big difference is that Reclock does not do VSync any more. And there it was again. Every once in a while you have a frame dorp or something. You can call it stuttering or tearing I do not know. But it is there. In some movies it is less in others it is more. I can not remember in which ones. And I am not talking about heavy tearing. Some people might even be happy with this setup and do not realize the problem at all but it ist there.

3.) The only way to use Reclock and have AC3 sound is to use the AC3 encoder. I tried that to. Picture in this setup is just as perfect as in setup 1. The problem here is that there is a time lack inbetween sound and picture. Of course you can correct that somehow. I tried it with AC3 Filter. But it is a pain to do it correctly. You never know if it is correct. I could not watch a movie without constantly checking if the sound matches the picture.

Theese are pretty much the experiences I made with my new TV and my HTPC. Althoug I did not care about DVD or even other formats at all I am still having many problems. Right now I use Reclock with stereo sound.

If I am missing something crutial please let me know. Otherwise I hope I could help somebody or at least save you some time figuring everything out by yourself.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
That's my gripe with reclock as well, I can either have dd/dts and a few dropped frames or pcm with no dropped frames.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it just me having the problem to play 1080p24Hz material. Do you get it to work in your setup or what do you do. Right now I use Reclock with standard settings and stereo. I just hope the next version of the Catalyst driver helps.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I just stumbled across your post during a search.

The good news is that I have the exact same problem (though I haven't tried the reclock part). I have a Samsung 52LNA650 LCD (24hz mode) and a Q9550 PC with Radeon HD4850 (not using the hardware decoding). Also on Catalyst 8.12 - trying all same options, with very similar results - although with KMPlayer, MPC, and GOB... various splitters, renderers, vsync settings.... 25fps and 24fps source material. Ugh!

The bad news is that don't have a solution. The best I've been able to do is to just stay at 60hz with EVC or VMR9 renderers, and I get no tearing and synched audio.

I did read one person who said he needed to set his TV as the primary display in the catalyst driver, and it fixed a similar problem for him. The TV is the only thing I have hooked up, so this doesn't help me, but might be something to try for you....

I don't want stereo, so it sounds like reclock is not for me. So far, the only "solution" I have found is to just stay at 60hz, and I get no tearing. I know it's not my TV because the same videos play from my PS3 @ 24hz perfectly. I also found that the 'Overlay Mixer' renderer does not suffer from tearing, but has terrible problems with audio sync.

Anyway, I'll follow up if I find a better solution....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts