Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just an F.Y.I.

DVHSTool will do a 3-2 pulldown removal (via WinDVD decoder) on 1080i movies. So you can enjoy them in full screen mode or in the preview window in full 1080p glory! :)

Kudos to Rick!

Leszek

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
Yes, thanks Rick and Leszek. This is a dream come true!

I am still unable to get DD5.1 from DHVStool with WinDVD4 filters, but 1080p+2chan pro logic is still very nice.

·
Registered
317 Posts
OK since this thread is all ready started (and I have tried to do a search) where/how can one do this 1080P from DVHSTool?

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any of the DVHSTool supported MPEG2 decoders already do this for you. There is nothing you need to do except setting your desktop to 1920x1080.

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
By the way - Ricka revised the way DVHStool manages the audio filters and I *can* now get DD5.1 playback using it.

There are many requirements for DVHStool to run well -

2.0-2.4GHz CPU speed (minimum)

Fast VGA card

WinXP + SP1

If interested, you should read the DVHStool topic at the top of this forum.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Kes and others:

Are we now saying that an HTPC can be adopted with DVHS Tool and the proper capture card to take 1080i content and restructure to 1080p seamlessly and on the fly? In other words, if I have 1080i movies taped off HBO and play them back with my JVC 30K to the HTPC: 1080p will result?

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
Yes - DVHStool allows you to do "preview from tape". You can view your D-VHS tape on a PC in 1080p.

Unfortunately there is no way to do it from D-Theater since the WinXP tape driver isn't 5c compliant.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
So, clearly, this is a direct competitor to a Faroudja 5000 that takes 1080i true HD content and converts it to 1080p on the fly. Therefore, by simply adding a MyHD card with firewire input to my HTPC along with DVHS Tool I will be able to play 1080i movies (except DTheater of course) into the HTPC and the HTPC will then play the movies via a SW DVD player such as Cineplayer or WinDVD out thru the Radeon card and inot the PJ via RGB cables.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In some sense it's actually better than the Farudja 5000 for movies, since the 3-2 pulldown removal is based on MPEG2 flags, which the HBO, SHO, etc. always have. However there is no comparison for video, Farudja wins hands down. It's going to be a while before you have enough CPU power to do motion adaptive deinterlacing of 1080i material when you decode the high definition MPEG2 stream at the same time.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Mike,

You don't even need a MyHD card. All you need is firewire, a supported MPEG2 decoder (Sonic is fine), a beefy enough processor, and D-VHS Tool.

--Jerome

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by leszek1
In some sense it's actually better than the Farudja 5000 for movies, since the 3-2 pulldown removal is based on MPEG2 flags, which the HBO, SHO, etc. always have.
Leszek,

They don't always have proper flags. "What Women Want," which airs on Showtime has bad flags and combs like crazy. There has been at least two other movies with the same problem, but in the grand scheme of things it is a small problem.

--Jerome

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
"You don't even need a MyHD card. All you need is firewire, a supported MPEG2 decoder (Sonic is fine), a beefy enough processor, and D-VHS Tool"

Actually, you don't need the MyHD card, beefy processor, or even the superb DVHStool.:) Just load the tape subunit filter, demux, and Sonic filters into Graphedit, turn on hardware accel, and you're good to go wiith as little as a $50.00 XP1600. If you want a myriad of controls and options, drop the .grf onto the latest version of Zoomplayer.

Joe

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
To me - the main benefit to DVHStool is it provides a nice UI that parses multiple HiPix files in sequence. Until Rick came on the scene we were stuck playing one minute file at a time.

Since DVHStool is free, why pull your hair out trying to do everything in graphedit. Rick has simplified things for you.

Leszek - I wouldn't scoff too much at the thought of using it for HD video. I am playing HDnet recordings as full 1080p with full framerate and no combing weirdness... Using the WinDVD4 filters.

Having 533MHz FSB / 1066MHz Rambus memory and a NVidia Quadro 4 sure helps, but I am getting by with only a 2.4GHz P4 (but with 512K cache)

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by PVR
Leszek - I wouldn't scoff too much at the thought of using it for HD video. I am playing HDnet recordings as full 1080p with full framerate and no combing weirdness... Using the WinDVD4 filters.
I'm not scoffing it, heck, I use it all the time. I'm sure that a $25000 Farudja system will do a better job, but I cannot afford it and to me (as well as to you :)) this solution is good enough. Basically we have a bobbing system that gives you an equivalent of 540p in video without any combing. Most decoders (including WinDVD) also have an option of forcing weave instead of bob, but that settings just combs way too much for my taste. Although on mostly static scenes it looks drop dead gorgeous!

Leszek

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
Oooh... I didn't realize I was probably stuck in 'bob' mode on video sources... Well maybe I will tone down my sales pitch a couple of notches.

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
You wouldn't happen to know the way to config the WinDVD4 filters for weave mode would you?

Something in the registry I assume?

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
i had the faroudja 5000.

i sale it 2 months ago.the pq.from 1080 p was the best i ever saw but the 3:2 pull down motion artefact's is now specially on my new 16 feed screen so disturbing that i watch more pal dvds.

it is a very good news that some cheap computer cards can help.

but only 3:2 removal without a very good pq.is not enough.

is there someone in this forum can rate the hd 1080 p picture that knows the faroudja 5000?

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by PVR
You wouldn't happen to know the way to config the WinDVD4 filters for weave mode would you?

Something in the registry I assume?
In graphedit you can just look at the properties page of the filter and select the weave check-box. Maybe Rick knows whether this changes a registry entry or something else.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I dont see much point in 1080p vs. 1080i unless the 1080p is done at 72 Hz. Then it looks very worthwhile.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
glgorman, you can watch 1080p on a computer in 72Hz, or any other refresh frequency. You're only limited by your display, since the newer cards will go up to 120Hz or higher.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.