·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This my equipment:

Pioneer Elite 1140-HD (50' Plasma)

Denon AVR-2807

Sony Playstation 3

I have them all connected thru high quality HDMI cables, but I cannot get the PS3 to recognize the 1140-HD as a 1080p display. In the set-up process it recognizes the following resolutions: 480p - 720p - 1080i... but no 1080p!! Although I know that the 1140-HD is not a native 1080p display the sales guy pointed me to Pioneer's list of features (its also on Pioneer's website) and the one feature that sold me on this set is that it says: " Independent HDMI® Inputs (10-bit processing) with the ability to accept a 1080p/24Hz signal "

Overall I am happy with this plasma. I get beautiful picture quality from my Comcast HD programming, and my XBOX 360 HD-DVD player (at 720p!)

I just thought I'd try its 1080p capabilities and went out and bought the PS3. Just can't get it to work, can anybody help?!

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
There are rumours of an update to the PS3 at some point in the future which will allow it to output at 1080p24.

Since your display is 720p, just output at 720p. Why bother going through 2 scaling passes?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How can I get it to default to 720p? When I put in 'Resistance' it goes into 1080i, same with the movies Black Hawk Down, and the 5th Element. I'd rather watch them all in 720p.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xterling /forum/post/0

How can I get it to default to 720p? When I put in 'Resistance' it goes into 1080i, same with the movies Black Hawk Down, and the 5th Element. I'd rather watch them all in 720p.

You have to go into system settings, display settings, and click "custom". Then simply de-select 1080i... All games and movie trailers will be 720p... Now, Blu-Ray movie's will not play at 720p but be down-rezzed to 480p... SO you have to change it back before you want to watch a movie..

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
It's easier for you to select 1080i instead of 1080p. That way you won't be bothered with changing the settings everytime you want to view BD discs.

fuad

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. Now I have a clear understanding of its capabilities and limitations. I like playing the games in 720p, seems a lilttle smoother to me, and although its 1080i BD movies @ 1080i don't look as nice as the HD-DVD's 720p movies. I can manuever around these things alot easier now... just gotta wait and see which format wins out before expanding the library. Netflix rents both...

·
Registered
810 Posts

Quote:

Thanks guys. Now I have a clear understanding of its capabilities and limitations. I like playing the games in 720p, seems a lilttle smoother to me, and although its 1080i BD movies @ 1080i don't look as nice as the HD-DVD's 720p movies. I can manuever around these things alot easier now... just gotta wait and see which format wins out before expanding the library. Netflix rents both...

umph... no, 1080i movies look just great, what movie did you see? It all depends on the movie...

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
It support's both 1080p/24 ( blu ray movie's ) 1080p/60 ( Games! )

So what I would recomend is check to see if there are simillar issues with other equipment. Or possibly a firmware update for your Plasma? Also the rumored March Update should eliminate add more features.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
I just found this out yesterday so its all new to me as well.

If your trying to watch Blu-Ray movies you can't use 720p. If you only have 720p on, and not 1080i, your movie will be displayed at 480i. I tested this out last night and it appears to be true.

This scaler thing needs to be ironed out.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts

Quote:

Are you inputs properly calibrated for each device? I always have to ask his because it seems basic, but a lot of people don't do it.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chap /forum/post/0

I just found this out yesterday so its all new to me as well.

If your trying to watch Blu-Ray movies you can't use 720p. If you only have 720p on, and not 1080i, your movie will be displayed at 480i. I tested this out last night and it appears to be true.

This scaler thing needs to be ironed out.

It should display in 480p if you don't have 1080i selected....

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
I didn't bother having 480p as an option. That might help some.

·
Registered
75 Posts
how is it your 720p game upscales to 1080i?

Quote:

·
Registered
1,055 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by talbain /forum/post/0

it doesn't have a scaler, so i'm not sure there's much they can iron out...

Common misconception. It does have a scaler. It's just not allowed to be used. In fact I believe it's disabled at the moment. There is a scaler in the system though.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknight /forum/post/0

Common misconception. It does have a scaler. It's just not allowed to be used. In fact I believe it's disabled at the moment. There is a scaler in the system though.

Have there been any rumblings/rumors/news on this?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.