AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all

My Objective is to stream 1080P, BD Rip's from my NAS( D-link 323 with 2TB HDD) to all the rooms in my home. ( Music, Photos and DVD's are Ok at this time)

- 4 rooms in the 2nd floor.

- Family Room & Kitchen in 1st floor

- Home theater Projector and 37" TV in the basement.

My Plan is to run Cat6 to all the rooms and have small media streamers in each room to play the required content.

so I started a small pilot project to run some tests using Patriot Box as a media streamer and D-link DNS 323 as my NAS.

My Pilot setup consist of Patriot box and 323 connected via D-link Gigabit switch DGS-2205 with a Cat6 Cables( Cables to go).

Patriot Box is connected to 37" LG TV by HDMI .

The network Speed measurements with PB is consistently in the range of 25000 Kbits/sec.

Now when I start to play BD.iso (1:1 BD) rips i get lot of stuttering. However the same files play fine from PB's USB drive.

So what I am missing here in my setup. Guru's Please advise.

PB seems to be OK as they play the files from USB fine. DNS-323 is gigabit supported and I enabled it already. I tried jumbo frames w/o major improvements..

anxious to get the damn thing working.

·
Registered
4,256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by muthukumrank /forum/post/18132403

hi all

My Objective is to stream 1080P, BD Rip's from my NAS( D-link 323 with 2TB HDD) to all the rooms in my home. ( Music, Photos and DVD's are Ok at this time)

- 4 rooms in the 2nd floor.

- Family Room & Kitchen in 1st floor

- Home theater Projector and 37" TV in the basement.

My Plan is to run Cat6 to all the rooms and have small media streamers in each room to play the required content.

so I started a small pilot project to run some tests using Patriot Box as a media streamer and D-link DNS 323 as my NAS.

My Pilot setup consist of Patriot box and 323 connected via D-link Gigabit switch DGS-2205 with a Cat6 Cables( Cables to go).

Patriot Box is connected to 37" LG TV by HDMI .

The network Speed measurements with PB is consistently in the range of 25000 Kbits/sec.

Now when I start to play BD.iso (1:1 BD) rips i get lot of stuttering. However the same files play fine from PB's USB drive.

So what I am missing here in my setup. Guru's Please advise.

PB seems to be OK as they play the files from USB fine. DNS-323 is gigabit supported and I enabled it already. I tried jumbo frames w/o major improvements..

anxious to get the damn thing working.

It is not going to work via network. The Patriot does not have the processing power to pull from NAS drive. I have the same Dlink NAS in my home. I have the WD live and Dune player. When tested the WD live will stutter on high bit rate files while the Dune plays fine. I suspect the Patriot is under powered like the WD Live. This is why it plays well with USB connected but stutters over network. No real fix other then replace with a more powerful player or stay with local attached source drive.

One other thing 25000 kb/s is not fast enough for BD ISOs. BD movies can easily run at 35000 kb/s or higher. To test my theory try a lower bitrate ISO and see if it plays.

·
Registered
174 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr /forum/post/18132858

To test my theory try a lower bitrate ISO and see if it plays.

or as one member has suggested when i unsuccesfully tried to play BD ISO movies with a WDTV Live (freezing and stuttering), convert the ISO to a BDMV. i have not tried this myself since i returned the WDTV Live, so i really don't know if the PB is able to play BDMV movies without issues.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
blackssr and bigthys

Thanks for the reply. .I tried lower bitrate files and DVD rips seems to play fine. As you all suggested PB seems to be the culprit.

I will have to try mysetup with Dune base and post my results.

But, Having dune base in every room is going to be cost prohibitive.( $350? per unit..??)

Are there cheaper alternatives? with a flexibility to play and control the media content at each room. Don't want to build HTPC's..need to think about have WAF and KAF( Kids acceptance factor!!!..)

BTW, I have some HDMI matrix (4X4 and 4x2) switches are lying around( Future plan)..I am thinking of using them.

Definitely, PB IS GOING BACK

·
Registered
4,256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by muthukumrank /forum/post/18134064

blackssr and bigthys

Thanks for the reply. .I tried lower bitrate files and DVD rips seems to play fine. As you all suggested PB seems to be the culprit.

I will have to try mysetup with Dune base and post my results.

But, Having dune base in every room is going to be cost prohibitive.( $350? per unit..??)

Are there cheaper alternatives? with a flexibility to play and control the media content at each room. Don't want to build HTPC's..need to think about have WAF and KAF( Kids acceptance factor!!!..)

BTW, I have some HDMI matrix (4X4 and 4x2) switches are lying around( Future plan)..I am thinking of using them.

Definitely, PB IS GOING BACK

I have 2 dunes now and have yet to find a file size that caused any issues. I have the DNS-323 in my lan and have tested speeds with the Dune. I get 11MB/s over 10/1000 Network. 11MB/s = 88 mb/s = 88000 kb/s more then enough for any BD ISO out there now. The Dune is hard to beat at this time and worth every penny of its price.

·
Registered
4,256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by muthukumrank /forum/post/18150992

Blackssr

Thanks. Ordered Dune Base 3.0. Waiting for the unit to arrive. Arthur confirmed that will get shipped today. Hopefully it plays to my satisfaction with my network. I will keep the forum updated.

Cool.. I hope you like as much as I do. There is a built in speed test on the Dune. If your network is healtly you should get between 8-11 MB/s (64-88 mb/s) from that NAS. With beta bios and fast SMB enabled you should get 10-11 (80-88 mb/s) solid MB/s.Keep me in the loop I am very curious to see how you make out once you get it. Do not turn on giga support on the Dune. It is experimantal and has not been proven to improve performance. I have it off but I do have fast SMB access on and get a solid 11 MB/s over 10/1000 lan from both DNS-323 NAS as well as 16TB video array fed from WHS.

·
Registered
123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr /forum/post/18151989

Cool.. I hope you like as much as I do. There is a built in speed test on the Dune. If your network is healtly you should get between 8-11 MB/s (64-88 mb/s) from that NAS. With beta bios and fast SMB enabled you should get 10-11 (80-88 mb/s) solid MB/s.Keep me in the loop I am very curious to see how you make out once you get it. Do not turn on giga support on the Dune. It is experimantal and has not been proven to improve performance. I have it off but I do have fast SMB access on and get a solid 11 MB/s over 10/1000 lan from both DNS-323 NAS as well as 16TB video array fed from WHS.

Got a Mediasmart ex495 last week and I'm blown away by the file xfer speeds I'm seeing (thx BlackSSR!). Now I'm debating on getting a Dune 3 Prime vs getting a Dune 3 Base and buying the Oppo - I'm worried about the noise of the BR drive on the Prime, though I'd prefer a single box solution as opposed to two. Media streaming is really starting to get expensive, so this stuff has to work or my wife will take matters inter her own hands...

·
Registered
4,256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyW /forum/post/18163496

Got a Mediasmart ex495 last week and I'm blown away by the file xfer speeds I'm seeing (thx BlackSSR!). Now I'm debating on getting a Dune 3 Prime vs getting a Dune 3 Base and buying the Oppo - I'm worried about the noise of the BR drive on the Prime, though I'd prefer a single box solution as opposed to two. Media streaming is really starting to get expensive, so this stuff has to work or my wife will take matters inter her own hands...

I have the base.. I see no point in getting the prime. I have both the Oppo83 and the Sony BD CX960 changer. They have not been used since I got the Dune. I hate the trailers, fbi warning and other crap associated with conventional Bluray. I want the movie, forced subs and hddef audio only. The Dune and my 16TB server gives me this without hassle. I am in movie heaven. Once you get accustomed to BD rips it is hard to go back to conventional BD. It is the equivalent of email verses snail mail. Get the base and you will never look back.... I promise !

·
Registered
123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr /forum/post/18163863

I have the base.. I see no point in getting the prime. I have both the Oppo83 and the Sony BD CX960 changer. They have not been used since I got the Dune. I hate the trailers, fbi warning and other crap associated with conventional Bluray. I want the movie, forced subs and hddef audio only. The Dune and my 16TB server gives me this without hassle. I am in movie heaven. Once you get accustomed to BD rips it is hard to go back to conventional BD. It is the equivalent of email verses snail mail. Get the base and you will never look back.... I promise !

Based on the ex495, I certainly trust your opinion. But we like to rent movies via Redbox just for an evening, so we'd need a player for those occasions. Since it's usually something the wife or kids would watch, we'd only watch it once...

·
Registered
4,256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyW /forum/post/18165256

Based on the ex495, I certainly trust your opinion. But we like to rent movies via Redbox just for an evening, so we'd need a player for those occasions. Since it's usually something the wife or kids would watch, we'd only watch it once...

Oh yeah! forgot about the wife and kids.... The Oppo is the best out there. The SD upconversion as no equal (XA2 was great also)and the speed is dead on. The Dune SD upconversion is average at best. I would still recommend the Base over the Prime. Keep it simple. I never had the Prime just read about some noise issues with the drive. Maybe they have been corrected. I do not know for sure. Ask Mike from Dune Player about that. He a good guy and very honest in his answers. Either way. I am certain the Dune player would "hooK" you like it did me. It is the coolest gadget that I have purchased in the last year.

·
Registered
123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr /forum/post/18166023

Oh yeah! forgot about the wife and kids.... The Oppo is the best out there. The SD upconversion as no equal (XA2 was great also)and the speed is dead on. The Dune SD upconversion is average at best. I would still recommend the Base over the Prime. Keep it simple. I never had the Prime just read about some noise issues with the drive. Maybe they have been corrected. I do not know for sure. Ask Mike from Dune Player about that. He a good guy and very honest in his answers. Either way. I am certain the Dune player would "hooK" you like it did me. It is the coolest gadget that I have purchased in the last year.

- Yep, I'm psyched on the Dune. If I get the Base, I'm looking at getting the Oppo 80 player since my AVR's an Onkyo 906, and it has an HQV Reon video processor. Right now, I have a cheapo 3 disk Pioneer DVD player, and the reon makes the Poineer's SD output look amazing (I also have a Pioneer Elite 151 plasma and it does a pretty good job of SD upconversion, too).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mikew

I went thro' same kind emotions and decision making process as you are having now. OPPO -83 vs Dune prime and Dune base.

My BD -ISO rips changed me forever. ( I just have 50 of them now and growing ..) (thanks to AnyDVDHD)

Decided on media streamer as opposed to standalone BD players for 3 reasons.

1. Convenience 2. Avoid annoying FBI stuff and trailers and 3.Whole house 1080P bit streaming. ( WAF's and KAF's Wife & Kids acceptance factors)

Tried WDTV live , Patriot Box(tried a pilot setup) and other beta products. I spent countless hours of reading on PCH-200, Dune and HDI Media streamers. and finally decided on Dune base after Blackssr recommendations.

Dune base is on the way to my house and I can't control my excitement and feels like a 10 yr old.

Again you can't go wrong with this product !!!!...with so many followers in teh forum.

·
Registered
123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by muthukumrank /forum/post/18171351

Mikew

I went thro' same kind emotions and decision making process as you are having now. OPPO -83 vs Dune prime and Dune base.

My BD -ISO rips changed me forever. ( I just have 50 of them now and growing ..) (thanks to AnyDVDHD)

Decided on media streamer as opposed to standalone BD players for 3 reasons.

1. Convenience 2. Avoid annoying FBI stuff and trailers and 3.Whole house 1080P bit streaming. ( WAF's and KAF's Wife & Kids acceptance factors)

Tried WDTV live , Patriot Box(tried a pilot setup) and other beta products. I spent countless hours of reading on PCH-200, Dune and HDI Media streamers. and finally decided on Dune base after Blackssr recommendations.

Dune base is on the way to my house and I can't control my excitement and feels like a 10 yr old.

Again you can't go wrong with this product !!!!...with so many followers in teh forum.

Agreed. But the wife and kids rent a lot of movies that we just want to see once (meaning I don't want to fill up my NAS with chick flicks and Barbie movies). Most cases they just pop over to the local Redbox, grab a DVD, throw it in the player, then drop it off the next morning. In that scenario, a disk player seems like a better fit. That's why I was considering the Prime (or the Oppo if the Prime's drive situation never improved).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.