AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I'm having a problem where every time I play a 1080p file (mostly H.264 and x264 .mp4), the video is choppy with artifacts and it's very annoying. 

It's not a hardware issue.  My processor, video card, RAM, etc are all far more powerful than is required to play video at this quality.  The issue occurs on both of my computers.

It's not an issue with my player.  I have tried using various players (SMPlayer, VLC, KMplayer, WMP, MPC, and so on.  I generally use VLC, but they all do this.

It's not a virus or corrupted file.  They have all been scanned and many have played without issue until recently.

I'm thinking it might have been a recent update to Windows, though I don't know which one.  I download much of my content from torrent sites.  Perhaps it's a new anti-pirating measure? 

It's incredibly frustrating and I'm not finding any answers in the forums.  Please help!

·
Registered
186 Posts
All my MKV files work fine. I use exactfile to generate an MD5 hash of all my movies and already found one with a hash that changed when I backed up my collection to a new drive. I doubt this alone would cause your issues since the movie with the changed hash still seemed to play mostly fine. Could be an issue with a codec pack you installed... you could try installing only VLC player on a fresh windows install and test. You could try booting to something like Hiren's bootcd and playing a file or taking them and trying them on someone else's computer. Keep troubleshooting and I'm sure you'll find the problem.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts