Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all-

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, just looking around...

Basically I'm looking for a 1080p bigscreen- 55+ inches that can be viewed in a lit room (so no front projectors) for around 2 grand.

Does such a thing (yet) exist? I don't care really if its rear proj, flat panel, whatever as long as it meets the size/res/cost 'requirements'.

Been waiting a few years, someday it will come :)

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks,

AC

·
Registered
138 Posts
I don't think that exists today... the DLPs may get there quickest but my guess is at least 2 years away. And so far none of the 1080p boxes I have seen look as sharp as the 720 sets out there today. Not sure if maybe the electronics/scalers etc... are lacking or what but they all have this pieces of mud appearance to me.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply- kind of surprised the market still hasn't been able to come up with something better than my 4 year old Toshiba 57HDX82 rear projectore for PC gaming (where 1080i is key ;-)

Still looking...

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Your requirements are a sort of limbo that falls in the cracks of the technology war.

LCDs can give you 1080p for your price but the largest in 05 was 37 (at your price).

06 will grow that to 42" and probably 47". 56?" Not likely before 08.

Microdisplays can do the size but their supply-chain pricing structure favors larger sizes so, instead of dropping prices, their primary response to competition from LCDs is to drop the smaller sizes and go bigger. So you are more likely to see 75" and larger micro-displays at 3-4K than you are to see 56" 1080p at your price before, again, 08.

Now, if you're willing to go up in price a bit you should be able to find a DLP-based 1080 display at your size, or if you drop your size expectations, you'll be able to find an LCD, but that particular combo (resolution-price-size) is not likely to appear any time soon.

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
The closest thing you'll find in this price range would be the Syntax Olevia LT42HVI 42" LCD TV (1080i). I have the newest 45" Sharp which is native 1080P but is double your budget on sale and the new 57" that comes out in March in the US will be about 5 times your budget or more. The 65" Sharp is for the top 1% that are willing to pay $15-$20K these will be produced for the Qualia Level buyers that have the money as they only produce 250 per month on a world market they have no competition in this size. It may be a few years yet before your wish list is met unless someone like Syntax has the ability to go to larger panels which takes a custom plant.

Samsung/Sony may enter the 57" range as Samsung has been working on a 57" for over 2 years but never brought it to market. Once again - A Sony Bravia version is unlikely to sell for less than a Sharp as they normally sell at a higher price premium and by the time that may happen Sharp will have had it's R&D paid for and then can discount below any Bravia version.

SED and 1080P Plasma in larger panel sizes would need to force competition if they could make the panel non-reflective/glare proof. Sharp has no one competing with them in these larger panels which will make price drops less likely as it's a whole new ballgame to replicate the larger panel like they have in the up to 37" sizes. Would be great to get a $15K panel for $2K but I wouldn't hold your breath as $2K isn't really much money today for high end HT Systems. Syntax would be the most likely at this time to accomplish it though or plasma, i.e.; Hitachi Director Series 55" or Panny 65" 1080P but these will be well beyond $2K.

Follow this Forum in January for CES and you'll likely see what the future holds. I can remember going into BB several years ago and the first 50" Plasma they had was over $12K and now they are going for $2-$5K depending on the model and I got my Sharp for nearly half of what it was just over a year ago, but $2K budget is usually where you'll see lower tiered rebadged or clearance equipment, about 4 major panel makers have left plasma the past year and Pio/Sony are losing alot of money selling at these reduced prices and now we have a shortage and price increases have occurred with the Panny units as a result. At some point the manufacturers have to make a profit unless they are willing to give them away and prepare for Chapter 11.

MERRY CHRISTMAS and Happy Holidays!:D

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies- a wealth of info in there, and about a month of researching saved ;-)

So my ideal package is still a few years off- now lets say that I keep the 1080p and the 55+ inch requirements, but double the price to 4 grand. What would be my options at this price range?

Also, what about those microdisplays, do they really deliver a 72 inch TV to your house? Haha- cause it wouldn't fit in my car thats for sure.

Thanks again,

AC

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
If you're willing to throw out your budget for the best 70" RPTV, then go w/the Qualia 006. Fits all your requirements except one, the price. Yes, they do have "in-home" delivery.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres
Your requirements are a sort of limbo that falls in the cracks of the technology war.

LCDs can give you 1080p for your price but the largest in 05 was 37 (at your price).

06 will grow that to 42" and probably 47". 56?" Not likely before 08.
I agree 42" 1080P LCDs in 2006 are a no-brainer. But I'd say 2007 rather than 2008 for affordable LCDs in the mid-fifty inch range. We're still on the steep part of the price/size curve. I just read a trade journal article that said LCDs are expected to match and then beat plasmas on price at every size (just as they're doing now at the 42" size) in the next year or two.

You can easily buy the 1080P Sony SXRD KDS-R50XBR1 50" RPTV for your revised budget of $4K now and, with some wheeling dealing, can probably get the 60" version for close to $4K. Unlike the wobulated DLP 1080 RPTVs (which some argue suffer in the sharpness department), the Sony has true 1080 resolution. But this is the flat panel forum... :)

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwavguy
I agree 42" 1080P LCDs in 2006 are a no-brainer. But I'd say 2007 rather than 2008 for affordable LCDs in the mid-fifty inch range. We're still on the steep part of the price/size curve. I just read a trade journal article that said LCDs are expected to match and then beat plasmas on price at every size (just as they're doing now at the 42" size) in the next year or two.

You can easily buy the 1080P Sony SXRD KDS-R50XBR1 50" RPTV for your revised budget of $4K now and, with some wheeling dealing, can probably get the 60" version for close to $4K. Unlike the wobulated DLP 1080 RPTVs (which some argue suffer in the sharpness department), the Sony has true 1080 resolution. But this is the flat panel forum... :)
Thanks for the reply-

I looked into the 60 inch version and it said it was actually a 1080i tv.

But then the article went on to say :

"A 1080i multiburst pattern from our HDTV signal generator was reproduced cleanly at the HDMI input, indicating that the set is giving you all the resolution from 1080i HDTV sources–not something all 1080p HDTVs can claim"

Not sure what that means, can someone please clarify?

Also, is this a solid upgrade from my 3 year old Toshiba 57HDX82, which is also 1080i?

BTW, apparently it can be found for around 3500-

Thanks,

AC

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticool
Thanks for the reply-

I looked into the 60 inch version and it said it was actually a 1080i tv.

AC
It isn't.

Its true 1080p; it displays 1080 native.

(what it doesn't *officially* do is accept 1080 PC inputs.)

A great buy, too.

This is a true-life "buying plasma" story:

A friend of mine was all set to buy a 50" 768p Panasonic plasma (very nice and a good buy) at BB but they were out of stock (third attemp to buy a big plasma at that; he first tried to get an LG 56 but the voltage regulator(?!) was shot, and then he tried to get the Panny but they couldn't deliver before turkey day.) so he went to CC instead. They had the Panasonic in stock at the same price but they also had the Sony's in the same corner of the showroom. Same distance, same feed, all he had to do was rotate in place.

Once he saw 1080p made a difference he was sold on the 60.

He then returned to BB and worked himself a deal with delivery within your new budget.

(Since he was replacing an older crt rptv the 21" depth of the Sony 60" was no issue. The movers kindly moved the old set from his basement home theater to the living room, too.)

You can find full reviews on the Sony microdisplays at the Sound and Vision web site along with the Qualia and HP 1080 models. Unlike the HP and Westinghouse 1080's (also reviewed there), the Sony's don't officially accept PC output above 1280 by 1024, my friend has no current interest in HTPC's but I'd check the appropriate threads around here cause the manual listing reads suspiciously. Would not be surprised if it did accept 1080p signals...

Regardless of Technology used, those Sony microdisplays offer very Plasma-like images at un-plasma-like size/price combos.

My friend now thinks the plasma gods just didn't like him and he was destined for a different forum all along. ;-)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.