AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm anticipating a 12 foot wide CH 2.35:1 with hopefully the JVC RS-1. Is there a guideline for a seat location based on the screen width 12 foot 2.35:1 CH, and resolution of the projector?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
According to THX, the recommended seating distance to give a 36 degree viewing angle is 1.54 x screen width, so around 18 feet away for a 12ft screen. In some THX certified theaters, that's the back row, so you could even have a front row at 1:1 with the second at 1.5.

I'm at 1.5 with my 720 display, but look forward to having 1080 and the ability to sit closer without seeing SDE.

http://www.cinemaequipmentsales.com/athx2.html

Gary

·
Registered
609 Posts
1080p and 2.35:1 screens make an ideal combination as they both permit a closer comfortable viewing distance. The RS1 should look amazing from as close as 1.0 SW (maybe even closer!) and IMO 1.0 should be about the best combination of theater-like immersion and excellent PQ(especially on HD sources). If you like to sit in the back row of the movie theater, 1.5 SW would be better. The consensus seems to be, however, that at 1.5 SW you may not be getting all the benefits from 1080p as far as resolution and detail. I kind of like Gary's idea of one row at each distance. That should make everyone happy.

·
Premium Member
3,638 Posts
Your question (and maybe you don't know it) has two parts. First, how large a subtended viewing angle will your planned projector support without making pixels or other artifacts visible? And, can the lumen output support such a large screen? Gary gave you a good reference...and if you wish to use the professional world's references as a starting point, then do a search on the subject; volumes have been written and discussed here over the years. You'll have enough resolution to be happy with the smpte standard for 2.35 of 45 degrees IMO (I got to see it last week). But one of the RS1's greatest strengths is its contrast. If you don't give it a chance to render enough luminance, you will not achieve it full contrast potential.

If your planned screen does not have some gain, you will be lumen challenged a bit in all but a bat cave with the RS1. I think you will probably just make it to routine standards of luminance on high lamp with a CIH 2.35 system. I don't think you will have any headroom with less than 1.5 gain.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I am also building a theatre with a 12' wide scope screen with anamorphic lens and I am planning 14' ,20' and 26' distances. I need the rows to be 6' apart due to reclining seats with leg rests. I was also looking at the JVC but I am a little concerned about the light output. I don't know if you saw the Optoma HD81LV. It will be out very shortly and has a 2500 lumen output. I saw it at CES on a 13 1/2' scope screen and I thought it looked very good. The architect is just now finishing the drawings so I won't be ordering equipment until probably June. It sounds like you will be done way before that so if you could post what you ended up with and how you like it I would really appreciate it.

Don

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.