AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep reading on websites that 1080p sets may not look good for regular tv or even digital cable.

Whats the true scoop on this? Should I buy a 1080p set when I won't be getting too much hdtv at this time? Do the current 720 sets look better?

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
There's no doubt that a 1080p set that is receiving a 1080p signal will look better than a 720p set. The problem is that there is no 1080p material for the average consumer to view and there's no time line in the foreseeable future for a rollout 1080p material. You wouldn't be able to view 1080p material on a non-hd set. An analog wouldn't accept the signal and digital set would just down convert the signal to the tv's native resolution anyway.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
For the time being I think 1080p is more important to the pc side of things and LCD displays as you can get 1080p material on a pc and you can get the native 1920x1080p rez on the monitor.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman
I keep reading on websites that 1080p sets may not look good for regular tv or even digital cable.

Whats the true scoop on this? Should I buy a 1080p set when I won't be getting too much hdtv at this time? Do the current 720 sets look better?
Go down and look at SD on the Samsung HLRxx68W and HLRxx78W 1080p models. You are not giving up anything on SD compared to 720p systems AND you can enjoy the increase contrast ratio, blacker blacks, and excellent colors of these sets. When you get hooked on HD (and you will), you will be glad you have at 1080p set.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
As an ardent skeptic of 1080p (for 2005), I can't see a reason why it would not look just as good displaying SD as any 720 or 768 set. The one advantage is less SDE when sitting way too close, and you definitely do not want to sit way too close for anything other than HD, but there seems to be no reason why it would look worse than other sets.

My best guess would be that there are a lot of other factors that vary considerably from vendor to vendor that would make SD display better or worse, but 1080-native per se should not be one of them.

Bottom line, if a 1080p set looks as good and doesn't cost considerably more than other sets, it makes sense to get it, as it will not pay off right now, but has a certain amount of built-in future-proofing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.