AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I notice that there have been some 1080p LCD and Plasma prototypes shown off in berlin recently....

Are these the very first 1080p LCD/Plasmas or are some already on sale?

What is the max res of todays Plasmas (AFAIK, less than 1080p res?) and what limits them from being 1080p...

Those are my questions and here are some qualifiers...

1) I am a noob when it comes to flat panel displays

2) I am not trying to start any flames at all

3) I am not needing (yet another) lecture on the importance of 1080p or why that should be the least of my worries...think of me as a child who is looking for simple and direct answers to my simple and driect questions...

thank you

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
1080P on WM9 HDVD is right now.

$20. gets you T2 or Motown and plenty more to come.

BTW no more droning about 720P vs 1080i(its worth $20.for that alone!)

·
Registered
831 Posts
In the flat panel world, yes those LCD's and Plasmas are the first to display 1080P. The question is will they accept TRUE 1080P or is it an 1080i --> 1080P convergence process. You would need beefy hardware in order to display 1080P signals.

·
Registered
32,174 Posts
I thought the WM9 stuff was 720p, not 1080p. The demos at CEDIA were... Am I mistaken Ron?

VBS, you make a good point. Accepting 1080p through the inputs is rare/non-existent. And on a lot of 720p devices, they won't deinterlace 1080i properly to 1080p before downscaling -- although that is, at last, becoming more popular.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Stacey,

Humour us and mention how there are plans afoot to have more than 2 WM9 1080P dics released in the future!

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Rogo,

As Joe flashed those test pieces (on screen menu)clearly showed both 720p(5 to 7 Mbs) and 1080p(7 to 9Mbs)approx.

It was a bit like being told "we are landing on Mars!"

DVHS recording made on old JVC3000(football)was punchier than all get out.

Startling for most viewers,I will bet.I decided right there to have both ASAP!

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Stacey,

Thanks for correcting that goof.

The good news is..........now I like WM9 way more than ever!

Tell us about the future movies unless its NDA.Ok say you heard ......a few more are possible and make my day.

BTW,every where we went,everyone who was pushing the envelope,said ...."The Shadow Knows!"

I cant escape the feeling they were talking about you.:)

·
Registered
258 Posts
Here's what I want to know. I am in the market for a LCD right now, which I would like to eventually use for HDTV. If 1080i=1920x540, What resolution is "native?" Everyone seems to be pushing 1280x720 or sometimes 1366 x 768, which clearly won't fit the spec. Is it worth waiting for the next generation of panel if the amount 1080p content is or will be limited ?

Also - Does anyone know of any 17-19 inch LCD monitors or televisions with greater than SXGA resoluion, besides those on Laptops ?

CG

·
Registered
476 Posts
fredzy,

The manufacturers are mum on the future hi-res panels.

The main problem seems to be the minimum cell size required to achieve the desired brightness and contrast ratio. You noticed, there are no 60" hi-res panels not to mention 50" ones. The new 70"+ panels are going cost a fortune!

I am afraid, a near-future 60" hi-res panel may cost $25,000 at minimum.

I am afraid, it will several years until an affordable 50" plasma panels are available. By then organic displays will be available also.

Mike

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Stacey,

Thanks for correcting that goof.

The good news is..........now I like WM9 way more than ever!

Tell us about the future movies unless its NDA.Ok say you heard ......a few more are possible and make my day.

BTW,every where we went,everyone who was pushing the envelope,said ...."The Shadow Knows!"

I cant escape the feeling they were talking about you.:)

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Help,

My computer is out of control with multi posts-its a HAL 9000!:)

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
The Pioneer 503CMX and, I assume, the Pro1000HD, will accept a direct 1080p signal. I have a Sencore generator and have put up 1080p test ptterns on my 503. I was actually amazed that it worked.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MikeSer
fredzy,

The manufacturers are mum on the future hi-res panels.

The main problem seems to be the minimum cell size required to achieve the desired brightness and contrast ratio. You noticed, there are no 60" hi-res panels not to mention 50" ones. The new 70"+ panels are going cost a fortune!

I am afraid, a near-future 60" hi-res panel may cost $25,000 at minimum.

I am afraid, it will several years until an affordable 50" plasma panels are available. By then organic displays will be available also.

Mike
I guess I was thinking more LCD. My laptop has a 16 inch 1600x1200 UXGA panel.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.