AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about getting a projector for a room. 2 issues are it has a ton of windows and is pretty bright in the daytime, and viewing distances in it range from about 7-14'. So I am thinking about getting a screen in the 6'-8' range, with a mounting distance of about 12-14' from the screen. I am hoping/figuring that keeping the image smaller will make it bright enough to have decent contrast during the day and low fatigue from closer viewing distances. Budget is about $1000.... how is the InFocus IN3138HD?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am a noobie so take with for what it is worth. I just purchased a Epson 3500 which is a very bright projector for a room similar to yours refurbished from epson with a full 2 year warranty for 1000 dollars total. I am very pleased with the image quality even with a fair amount of ambient light. During the day when there is a lot of light running the projector on high lamp produces a good image. At night in eco mode the image is very bright and have lowered the brightness levels in the setup for natural and cinema modes. during the day i have it set to living room and high output and it is working well. I am projecting the image on a wall with a satin beige finish. I will be painting a DIY 100" screen with the Silver Fire v2.5 5.0 as soon as the weather is a little warmer and i can paint in the garage.

Good luck

Carl

·
Registered
9,240 Posts
The infocus projector is 4000 lumens but has a color wheel that produces RGBCYW light. Its actual color brightness lumens are around 720 lumens max. as you can see there is a big difference and that’s caused by a good size W (white or clear) segment in the color wheel 67 degrees of the wheel in this case. As a business projector doing business type stuff the white helps a lot and all the brightness of white gives a type of contrast that helps with those type things. For watching movies in the daytime not so much. Most here will tell you that you will need a high lumen RGBRGB color wheel.

·
Registered
9,240 Posts
The Epson mentioned above is not a DLP projector but a LCD and its measured lumens are at 2500 white and 2500 color. There are also quite a few RGBRGB DLP’s that have similar numbers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.