AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there a phlatlight or laser 1080p HT projector on the market? I searched, but only found an epson, which did not seem suitable.

reason I am asking is that what really turned me off my last projector was the heat that blew into the room. I will sit right next to the projector, and I really don't want to hear it or notice it.

/iaw

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
High lumen LEDs crank out a good amount of heat.

If you want to reduce heat and noise you will need to put the PJ in an enclosure that will muffle the noise and port the heat away from you.

OR

Mount on the ceiling.

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
ivo welch -- No LED lamp PJs are available in this price category. The Vivitek H9080FD, that wiatrak refered to is around $15,000. BenQ is supposed to be working on one also (but it's estimated price is around $6,000+). See http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1156635 for more info on the Vivitek PJ.

Epson does not make a LED PJ. Don't confuse LCD (Liquid Crystal Device - a color filter/switching device) with LED (Light Emitting Diode - a light source). This is a common error which is also perpetrated by the flat panel TV manufacturer's advertising personnel (example: Samsung seems to advertise that their LED TVs are different from their LCD TVs - the only real difference is in the back-light being used).

reconlabtech -- Not true. The LED sources are running around 18 Amps at 2V to 5V when full on (maximum white screen), which equals 90 Watts, maximum (only one lamp is on at a time). That is less than the power of the lamps on most PJs (125W to 250W, depending on the model). The advantages are: that the average power is even lower, and the median lamp life is around 60,000+ hours. Normal UHP type lamps run around 2000 hours to 5000 hours, depending on the lamp mode.

For information on the lamps used in the Vivitek PJ, see http://www.luminus.com/stuff/content...t120_rev05.pdf .

·
Registered
4,740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Wiebe /forum/post/16849441

reconlabtech -- Not true. The LED sources are running around 18 Amps at 2V to 5V when full on (maximum white screen), which equals 90 Watts, maximum (only one lamp is on at a time). That is less than the power of the lamps on most PJs (125W to 250W, depending on the model). The advantages are: that the average power is even lower, and the median lamp life is around 60,000+ hours. Normal UHP type lamps run around 2000 hours to 5000 hours, depending on the lamp mode.

Sorry, I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. Sure the lamp is less watts because it is basically a semiconductor circuit but anyone familiar with cpus and gpus knows that a lot of heat is coming off of those circuits. If you are sitting right next to the exhaust on even an LED PJ, you are going to feel some warmth coming out of there. Not like a 350 watt uhp but heat nonetheless.

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
reconlabtech -- We agree. The LED DLP PJs do pump out heat, as you said.

The point I was making was that the heat is less than coming out of a typical DLP PJ. In some cases, considerably less, a 100W LED lamp pumps out less than half the heat of a 250W UHP lamp. Remember that part of the input energy is output as light and the rest is heat, so conversion efficiency also comes into play.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.