AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine routinely throws movie parties, usually using a stretched blackout cloth and borrowed projector (just 640x480!) to display them. However, he'd like to upgrade to something capable of displaying full 1080p and suitable for both home theater and outdoor use, and has set a total budget for the project of about $1500. Further complicating matters is that he needs it by the 15th of this month.

So far, here are my observations:

-All manufacturer's specifications are baloney, and should be ignored in favor of independent testers' results. Ideally, more than one set should be used to ensure accuracy.

-Newer projectors are usually better than their older counterparts, even if the latter were sold at a higher price point.

-I haven't the foggiest clue how many lumens are required for a 120" screen used outdoors in an area with mild light pollution. (It's urban.)

-The main options are the Infocus X10 ($1200, on sale at TigerDirect), Optoma HD20 (should be on sale soon), and Vivitek H1080FD (also on sale soon). The X10 looks to be a good projector overall, though there have been some negative comments on color depth. There's also the option of used or refurbished projectors - any thoughts on likely options for these?

-DIY screens look like the way to go, but there's simply too much information to sift through. Is plain, uncoated Wilsonart the way to go, or would he be better off with stretched blackout cloth and a few coats of custom-tinted paint?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
To be honest if you were thinking of projecting your screen outdoors you may want to think about the lumens of your projector. Sure most home theaters come Full HD prepared, but they were designed to be in bassically pitch black rooms. If you are hoping to use this projector outdoors you must equate lighting conditions from street lights, car lights, surrounding disturbances, etc, because you mentioned it is in an urban area, so I am assuming you will encounter such disturbances.

I would recommend the BenQ MP624 for your budget as it falls under $1,000, and is not Full HD, but carries enough lumens with it to project images with high brightness (3000 lumens) and color contrast (2500:1). The MP623 also has a low audible machine noise of 26. dB (eco-mode), which is lower by a few pitches to its competitors, especially LCD projectors.

·
Registered
584 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlaw99 /forum/post/16940398

You need to wait 6 weeks until all the new projectors are announced at CEDIA.

Will that cause prices to drop on the current models?

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
Check out Panny refurbs on ProView digital. I feel consistantly these are some of the best projector deals out there.

I bought one, my work bought two, a few friends bought em as well. All very satisfied and they have all worked perfectly so far. Mine is over two years old now.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumpchange21 /forum/post/16939530

To be honest if you were thinking of projecting your screen outdoors you may want to think about the lumens of your projector. Sure most home theaters come Full HD prepared, but they were designed to be in bassically pitch black rooms. If you are hoping to use this projector outdoors you must equate lighting conditions from street lights, car lights, surrounding disturbances, etc, because you mentioned it is in an urban area, so I am assuming you will encounter such disturbances.

The original plan was to throw picture quality to the wind and use a relatively small, high-reflectivity screen. The Infocus X10, despite its' low manufacturers' rating of 1200 lumens, compares with some projectors rated as 1800. It's also on sale right now.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_R_STL /forum/post/16940796

Will that cause prices to drop on the current models?

Yes, but you may have to wait another month or so as all manufacturer's are different. The Optoma HD20 ia already available for pre order. 1700 lumens 1080p 4001: contrast ratio and $999

·
Registered
2,275 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlaw99 /forum/post/16941295

Yes, but you may have to wait another month or so as all manufacturer's are different. The Optoma HD20 ia already available for pre order. 1700 lumens 1080p 4001: contrast ratio and $999

I just was informed that i will be recieving my unit by friday from Visual Apex. Total was $1064.00 with 1 day shipping....

·
Registered
584 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlaw99 /forum/post/16941295

Granted, that the only DLP I've seen in person was an Infocus X1
Rainbows are an issue for me. I saw them every time I blinked, and it was very distracting, and put me off of DLPs. The other thing is that given the low ceiling in my basement, I really need vertical lens shift.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_R_STL /forum/post/16954427

Granted, that the only DLP I've seen in person was an Infocus X1
Rainbows are an issue for me. I saw them every time I blinked, and it was very distracting, and put me off of DLPs. The other thing is that given the low ceiling in my basement, I really need vertical lens shift.

If rainbows are a serious issue then you should definately look at a LCD or higher end dlp.

FYI, the offset on the hd20 is 9 inches...I am using it on an 8ft ceiling now.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spasticteapot /forum/post/16939263

Further complicating matters is that he needs it by the 15th of this month.

Are you gearing up for the 2009 football season? if so you need to also think about a tuner.

Im going threw all this right now, i havnt received my tuner yet but im planning to watch some games on mine.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deez /forum/post/16954988

If rainbows are a serious issue then you should definately look at a LCD or higher end dlp.

FYI, the offset on the hd20 is 9 inches...I am using it on an 8ft ceiling now.

How do you know wich are the higher end DLP? I have an LP4805 and i see the rainbow things alot and it bugs me. I find myself watching my LP250 wich is LCD more because of it. The image is not quite as crisp as the 4805 but i dont mind it.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Benq SP830

Sure, it's not 1080p but it is 720p, compatible with a 1080p signal, and:

3500 lumens to go as big as you want

HQV video processor so all your video looks good

PIP - rare in the PJ world

3 year warranty on the PJ

Available now for @ $1300

·
Registered
1,122 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowerR64 /forum/post/16955558

How do you know wich are the higher end DLP? I have an LP4805 and i see the rainbow things alot and it bugs me. I find myself watching my LP250 wich is LCD more because of it. The image is not quite as crisp as the 4805 but i dont mind it.

Well, the more color wheels there are in a projector the less likely you will see rainbow effect if you are one of those individuals that suffer from rainbows. The thing about rainbow effect is that it varies from person to person and it varies in severity between individuals too. So, it's more like a trial an error test with yourself. Generally people don't suffer from it, but it is most unfortunate that you do. Try to look for DLP projectors with 6-7 wheel segments?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts