AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,227 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manufanatic /forum/post/0

Do any of the HD DVD players output 1080p over component or only 1080i or 720p?

NO...it is not possible with HD-dvd...but it is possible with games.

(found that in the search engine since i didn't know the answer)

·
Registered
1,548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manufanatic /forum/post/0

Do any of the HD DVD players output 1080p over component or only 1080i or 720p?

Only 1080i and 720p. AACS restrictions prohibit 1080p output over component at this point, for no real good reason.

Trent

·
Registered
714 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdavis21484 /forum/post/0

Only 1080i and 720p. AACS restrictions prohibit 1080p output over component at this point, for no real good reason.

Trent

Maybe the Monster Cable Manufacturer slipped somebody some money under the table ! You know alot of folks still are under the impression that Monster Hdmi cables are the BEST !!! [ Priced @ $100.00 for a 6 footer ]

Obviously though it must be one of the pins on the Hdmi cable is used to detect HDCP handshake to eliminate the copy potential with a recording device.

Regards,

·
Registered
1,548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by javry /forum/post/0

the "good reason" is HDCP....nothing more

No, HDCP has nothing to do with component video - it is a digital lock that protects digital signals transmitted over compliant DVI and HDMI connections. It doesn't and can't affect component video.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
The motive behind the AACS restrictions prohibiting 1080p component output is to prevent copying - however, that's a foolish motive because there isn't any readily available consumer gear that can record a real-time, baseband, component video signal! How can it be copied if no one makes a recorder that can do so? That's why I say it's for "no reason".
Quote:
Obviously though it must be one of the pins on the Hdmi cable is used to detect HDCP handshake to eliminate the copy potential with a recording device.

You're right - there is an HDCP communication pathway in an HDMI cable - it allows two way communication between source and display - if the display, or anything in the signal path is non-HDCP compliant, then the source shuts off the signal.

Trent

·
Registered
733 Posts
VISIONFC4, HDTV HDMI to VGA/PC/Component Signal/Format Converter

This device will allow hdmi to component at any resolution coming from the HDMI device. It strips the HDCP copy protection. I picked up one of these because I want to be able to use the upconversion facilities on the XA2 which are only available through the HDMI output (if there is HDCP protection enabled) and I have a component only HDTV.

·
Registered
170 Posts

Quote:

The motive behind the AACS restrictions prohibiting 1080p component output is to prevent copying - however, that's a foolish motive because there isn't any readily available consumer gear that can record a real-time, baseband, component video signal! How can it be copied if no one makes a recorder that can do so? That's why I say it's for "no reason".

Not only that, but there's no reason a recording made from 1080i would look any worse than one made from 1080p. The same information is there, just in a different order.

Of course, with AACS being broken, you 'd be better off just getting it directly off the disc...

·
Registered
1,548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Clark /forum/post/0

VISIONFC4, HDTV HDMI to VGA/PC/Component Signal/Format Converter

This device will allow hdmi to component at any resolution coming from the HDMI device. It strips the HDCP copy protection. I picked up one of these because I want to be able to use the upconversion facilities on the XA2 which are only available through the HDMI output (if there is HDCP protection enabled) and I have a component only HDTV.

It should also be noted that this is an illegal device under the Digital Millenium Copyright Act. Will you get arrested? Probably not. But it should be stated anyway. There's also no guarantee it will work in the future if HDMI Org strips the HDCP keys that allow that particular supplier's HDMI connectors to operate.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy2000 /forum/post/0

Not only that, but there's no reason a recording made from 1080i would look any worse than one made from 1080p. The same information is there, just in a different order.

Right, a quality video processor could recreate the 1080p/24 source with no problem from 1080i output.

Quote:
Of course, with AACS being broken, you 'd be better off just getting it directly off the disc...

This is my ultimate point - why would anyone invest thousands in a real time analog recorder to make real time, potentially flawed recordings, when a $150 software program can make a bit for bit copy?

That's why the silly AACS analog output restrictions are totally stupid - they have no basis in reality or logic. And no one's calling them on it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm sorry if this has been answered before but if the Toshiba HD-DVD models do not upconvert over component do the Oppo models? I ask because I too have only component inputs for HD on my older Mitsubishi HD-TV.

·
Registered
570 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlenjm /forum/post/0

I'm sorry if this has been answered before but if the Toshiba HD-DVD models do not upconvert over component do the Oppo models? I ask because I too have only component inputs for HD on my older Mitsubishi HD-TV.

Due to the studio's success in implementing the Digital Rights Millenium act, no DVD player is allowed to upconvert protected material over component. Since most DVDs are copy protected; the short answer is no.

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
My LG DV7832 NXC does exactly that. Upconverts protected discs over component and does it very well. Guess I will stick to using it instead of the XA2. I have compred the two using some torture tests from Silicon Grapics and they are very close to eachother so no great loss

·
23,039 Posts

Quote:

You're right - there is an HDCP communication pathway in an HDMI cable - it allows two way communication between source and display - if the display, or anything in the signal path is non-HDCP compliant, then the source shuts off the signal.

Trent

Actually, HDCP is just the point to point encryption mechanism used on DVI and HDMI which both use TMDS as the "pathway" (transport). HDCP is source controlled. If the source requests it to be used and the target does not support it, then the connect (handshake) will fail. Some sources (players, stbs, etc) always request it, others only when required, i.e for "protected" or "flagged" content at HD resolutions.

larry

·
Registered
570 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray /forum/post/0

My LG DV7832 NXC does exactly that. Upconverts protected discs over component and does it very well. Guess I will stick to using it instead of the XA2. I have compred the two using some torture tests from Silicon Grapics and they are very close to eachother so no great loss

Wow; just looked this player up on the 'net. It does it without a hack! I wonder how they got around the restriction? No matter, enjoy!

·
Registered
2,474 Posts

Quote:

No, HDCP has nothing to do with component video - it is a digital lock that protects digital signals transmitted over compliant DVI and HDMI connections. It doesn't and can't affect component video.

But component is restricted for the very purpose of enforcing HDCP!! Duh!

Also, my Momitsu V880 upconverts over component.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eapleitez /forum/post/0

But component is restricted for the very purpose of enforcing HDCP!! Duh!

I didn't realize we were revisiting fifth grade, and thought we could speak like adults.

You are correct in a way - I think we're dealing with a matter of semantics here. Component video has nothing electronically to do with HDCP. HDCP has done, and can do nothing to affect the output of component video.

HD resolutions are available over component outputs from every currently released HD disc. There is no "enforcement" of HDCP - HDCP is the "lock", not a law or policy.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper /forum/post/0

Actually, HDCP is just the point to point encryption mechanism used on DVI and HDMI which both use TMDS as the "pathway" (transport). HDCP is source controlled. If the source requests it to be used and the target does not support it, then the connect (handshake) will fail. Some sources (players, stbs, etc) always request it, others only when required, i.e for "protected" or "flagged" content at HD resolutions.

larry

I'm aware of that, and thank you for clarifying what I generalized in my previous post.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.