AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up the Toshiba 65" DLP and bought the VGA connection for the 360 since i don't have HDMI. VGA works at 640x480 and 1024x768........but anything higher it says its not supported. Anything i need to change or am i stuck using component @ 1080i?

·
Registered
16,554 Posts
Look in the manual for the TV and see what resolutions it supports via the VGA connection . Some sets only have the VGA port there for PC use and there by only accept a few normal PC resolutions . The spec sheet says "

15 Pin D-Sub PC Input (VGA/SVGA/XGA)" which means it supports 640x480 , 800x600 and 1024x768 (if the spec sheet is indeed correct) .

-- Jason

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Toshiba displays have a lot of very nice features, but support for native resolution via VGA isn't one of them. Sorry.

So, you are in fact limited to 1080i over component.

A friend of mine has that display. Its a great TV but the lack of full-res VGA support is a serious inconvenience.

·
Registered
9,280 Posts
kind of odd how a lot of big names skimp on this, but most "budget brands" fully support 1080p on component and VGA

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
The "big names" are coming from the analog TV business and are deeply ingrained with old-school thinking. Little by little they are catching on but it is a slow process.

Not sure I have the time to list all the head-scratching stupidities consumers have been subject to in recent years from those clueless "big names", but off the top of my head, I can point out Sony's HDCP-less HDMI TVs (vintage '05, I think), their absurd habit of overscanning digital ports, their excessive love of component ports, optical-out ports that sometimes send surround sount and sometimes don't... And, of course, lack of native resolution support on all high-res ports.

I long ago gave up on trying to figure out what is going through their designers' heads as they go out of their way to cripple their products like that.

The second-tier vendors, of course, can't afford those kinds of mis-steps; one screwup can put them out on the street for good. Those folks may not get the respect they due, but at least they pay attention to their target market's needs...

·
Registered
578 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres /forum/post/12868635

The "big names" are coming from the analog TV business and are deeply ingrained with old-school thinking. Little by little they are catching on but it is a slow process.

Not sure I have the time to list all the head-scratching stupidities consumers have been subject to in recent years from those clueless "big names", but off the top of my head, I can point out Sony's HDCP-less HDMI TVs (vintage '05, I think), their absurd habit of overscanning digital ports, their excessive love of component ports, optical-out ports that sometimes send surround sount and sometimes don't... And, of course, lack of native resolution support on all high-res ports.

I long ago gave up on trying to figure out what is going through their designers' heads as they go out of their way to cripple their products like that.

The second-tier vendors, of course, can't afford those kinds of mis-steps; one screwup can put them out on the street for good. Those folks may not get the respect they due, but at least they pay attention to their target market's needs...

There is no shortage of second and third tier mfgrs making the same stupid mistakes.

P.J.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

·
Registered
9,458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by formulanerd /forum/post/12867950

kind of odd how a lot of big names skimp on this, but most "budget brands" fully support 1080p on component and VGA

Nothing odd about it.

High Definition Multimedia Input

Thats it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think you could probably fix your problem if you picked up a vga to hdmi converter. These things go for as low as 20$ on eBay. I haven’t tested it so let me know if it works.

·
Registered
26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazygonuts /forum/post/12890325

I think you could probably fix your problem if you picked up a vga to hdmi converter. These things go for as low as 20$ on eBay. I haven't tested it so let me know if it works.

I have the same problem with my Toshiba 47', it won't do 1900 by whatever (full 1080p)

I wasted $40 buying the vga plug which looks terrible on my set, HDMI will set you free my friend

let me know if the adapter works

·
Registered
434 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypr-aktiv /forum/post/12942277

Pardon my ignorance...

What?

Testicle Clamp Payment

They attach a clamp to your testicles and begin to squeeze until you pay them more money.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts