AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 3176 Posts

·
Registered
8,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Specs from J&R web listing:

A 37" video monitor that features a super-bright, high contrast 1920x1080 LCD / VGA, Component & DVI Connections / Great for TV or Computer Use

Westinghouse 37" Video Monitor - This 37" video monitor features a super-bright, high contrast 1920x1080 progressive scan LCD panel. Which is enhanced with Faroudja's DCDi and TrueLife video processing, delivering state-of-the-art video performance. It also features VGA, component, and DVI connections. Making this a perfect choice for computers, TV, and game consoles!

2 Detachable 20 Watt Speakers

Native Resolution - 1920 x 1080

Aspect Ratio - 16:9

HDTV Ready - 480p, 720p, & 1080i

Brightness (cd/m2) - 550

Contrast Ratio - 600:1

Viewing Angle - (horizontal/vertical ) 176 Degrees

Response Time - 12ms

Display Colors - 16.7 Million True Colors

Inverse 3:2 Pulldown

50,000 Hour Lamp Life

Progressive Scan

Aspect Ratio Conversion

PIP

Freezing Picture

3D Video Processing

3D Comb Filter

Connectors - 1 Composite In / 1 S-Video In (adapter included) / 2 Component (YPbPr) (adapter included) / 2 DVI-HDCP / 1 RGB/VGA/PC In / 1 Audio In (mini) / 5 Audio In (Dual RCA)

Wall Mountable

Cabinet Color - Silver

Unit Dimensions (w/ stand) - 28.5" (h) x 36.6" (w) x 8.4" (d)

Unit Weight (w/ stand) - 56 lbs.

Unit Dimensions (w/o stand) - 23" (h) x 36.6" (w) x 4.5" (d)

Benq 37" 1080P at Crutchfield

Westinghouse 37" 1080P at J&R

Any other contenders in the ~$2000 1080p LCD panels wars?

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
Here's a pic but not truly a review at CNET

http://www.cnet.com/4520-10602_1-5619296-1.html

I wasn't impressed with the previous versions but last week I saw the new 32" version at BB and it had a great PQ with fine detailed edges that were better than the new Samsung version next to it. I know that can depend on tweaking but the 32" looks quite good and the price was great.

Yes, it looks like pre-orders are being taken at J&R and I would expect this should become available soon at BB as they appear to be one of their primary distribution channels. Would be nice to see how it does 1080P on Blu-Ray when their available. Looks like it good be a good deal especially for a bedroom Panel as I've had a hard time finding a fit into a Armoire but it looks like this will fit a 37" where I had a 31" CRT.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
This panel is probably still months away from the market. The last update I saw was that the Chi Mei 37-inch (the panel that Westinghouse hopes to use) was due in Q3.

·
Registered
57 Posts
It may be a few months before any of the cheaper 1080p panels come out, but whose complaining? 1 year ago, let alone 6 months ago, who would have thought we could get a 37' LCD TV with 1080p resolution for around $2000.00? Im sure by late summer were going to have many choices for a decent 1080p TV. A few months to wait is worth the extra resolution....

·
Registered
8,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by LCDFan
It may be a few months before any of the cheaper 1080p panels come out, but whose complaining? 1 year ago, let alone 6 months ago, who would have thought we could get a 37' LCD TV with 1080p resolution for around $2000.00? Im sure by late summer were going to have many choices for a decent 1080p TV. A few months to wait is worth the extra resolution....

Agreed on all points. Heck, LOTS of people will buy 27"-37" panels *just* for computer use! No one would have dreamed last year that such large sizes and resolutions would be available so soon, let alone complete with a NTSC cable tuner and all the inputs these have. Thousands of people would gladly buy these if they only had an RGB and DVI port, just as a computer monitor. Looks like the promise of "convergence" is finally happening...

·
Registered
231 Posts
With the price of 17in. and 19 in. LCD computer monitors dropping, I would think the larger format TV's will follow as well.

I really don't understand the price differential, to be quite honest. A 17 in. LCD monitor now sells fgor under $300 and it packs more LCD pixels into a much smaller space than most larger ones. Wouldn't the smaller ones be more costly to manufacture than the larger ones? The electronics should only add a few hundred bucks.. so, where's the difference going? hmmm.. profit!

Perhaps I don't understand the technichal aspects of manufacturing larger size LCD's.. anyone have any insight?

Thanks,

Jerry

·
Registered
1,548 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by ChiTown_Jerry
With the price of 17in. and 19 in. LCD computer monitors dropping, I would think the larger format TV's will follow as well.

I really don't understand the price differential, to be quite honest. A 17 in. LCD monitor now sells fgor under $300 and it packs more LCD pixels into a much smaller space than most larger ones. Wouldn't the smaller ones be more costly to manufacture than the larger ones? The electronics should only add a few hundred bucks.. so, where's the difference going? hmmm.. profit!

Perhaps I don't understand the technichal aspects of manufacturing larger size LCD's.. anyone have any insight?

Thanks,

Jerry

First there is an isissue of assembly line. Small panels had been around for long time and costs setting it up are amortized. The large panels are new and need new assembly lines which cost tons of money to set up plus the new equipment capable of handling it. Then you have cost of materials, for example you could probably make four 17" panels from one 37". You are right, once you make the panel, electronics are not very expensive and in many cases the same electronics are used for different size panels. As far as size of the pixel is concerned, once you have proper equipment and everything is set up it doesn't really matter except maybe for dead pixels, the more pixels the bigger chance some may not work.

·
Registered
8,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by pete4
First there is an isissue of assembly line. Small panels had been around for long time and costs setting it up are amortized. The large panels are new and need new assembly lines which cost tons of money to set up plus the new equipment capable of handling it. Then you have cost of materials, for example you could probably make four 17" panels from one 37". You are right, once you make the panel, electronics are not very expensive and in many cases the same electronics are used for different size panels. As far as size of the pixel is concerned, once you have proper equipment and everything is set up it doesn't really matter except maybe for dead pixels, the more pixels the bigger chance some may not work.

That's the best explanation I've heard for the price discrepancy between typical PC 17" or higher LCD panels and LCD TV's of equivalent resolution and response rate.

Using any reasonable scaling metric like screen surface area, absolute resolution, and/or weight, a 32" 1360x768 LCD panel ought to street for around $800, even accounting for added NTSC tuner(s) and I/O ports. Recovering new assembly line equipment and installation costs as quickly as possible appears to be the most likely reason for the pricing of 37" and larger panels relative to their smaller PC counterparts.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Sounds reasonable..

Which perhaps is why some of these newer entrants into the market can produce panels cheaper.. they are simply using other companies' technologies and farming out production to a company that is already set up utilizing surplus manufacturing capacity.

Thanks!

Jerry

·
Registered
32,172 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by Rgb
Will the BenQ 37" 1080p LCD use these same Chi Mei panels?

No, the BenQ uses panels from AU Optronics.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
You might get answers with some Google searches. Chi Mei is often referred to as CMO, AU Optronics often called AUO.

Seek and ye might find.

·
Registered
605 Posts
This is what AUO says about their 37"

Size 37"

Model T370HW01

Aspect Ratio 16 : 9

Resolution (pixel) HDTV (1920 x 1080)

Active Area (mm) 819.36 x 460.89

Pixel Pitch (mm) 0.427

Mode Premium MVA

Number of Colors 16.7M (8 bit)

Color Saturation (NTSC %) 72 (EBU=100%)

View Angle (H/V) 170 / 170

Brightness (cd/m²) 550

Contrast Ratio 800 : 1

Response Time (ms) (at 25°C) 8 (gray to gray)

Power Consumption (W) 150

Interface 2ch LVDS

Supply Voltage (V) 12

Light Source 20 CCFL

Outline Dimensions (mm) 894.8 x 527.4 x 50.7

Weight (g) 9,500

Production Q1

·
Registered
17 Posts
Circuit City has a Polaroid 37" LCD TV 1920x1080 listed on their website avaible NOW. Unless something is wrong with their web site, it lists it as in stock for all their stores in the Boston area. By they way, the price is below $2000 (even the MSRP).

Interestingly, this model is not shown on the Polaroid home page.

·
Registered
8,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by mbjorkman
Circuit City has a Polaroid 37" LCD TV 1920x1080 listed on their website avaible NOW. Unless something is wrong with their web site, it lists it as in stock for all their stores in the Boston area. By they way, the price is below $2000 (even the MSRP).

Interestingly, this model is not shown on the Polaroid home page.

That makes it 1080p Panel Wars Episode III

The price listed on the site is a "new low" for 37" 1080p already! Crimony, 37" 1080p aren't in the hands of buyers yet, and they're fighting over prices!?

·
Registered
8,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
From
http://www.auo.com/auoDEV/products.p...=60&items_id=8

The 37" AUO 1080p panel is an MVA technology LCD.

Model T370HW01

Aspect Ratio

16 : 9

Resolution (pixel)

HDTV (1920 x 1080)

Active Area (mm)

819.36 x 460.89

Pixel Pitch (mm)

Mode

Premium MVA

Number of Colors

16.7M (8 bit)

Color Saturation (NTSC %)

72 (EBU=100%)

View Angle (H/V)

170 / 170

Brightness (cd/m²)

Contrast Ratio

800 : 1

Response Time (ms) (at 25°C)

8 (gray to gray)

Power Consumption (W)

Interface

2ch LVDS

Supply Voltage (V)

Light Source

20 CCFL

Outline Dimensions (mm)

894.8 x 527.4 x 50.7

Weight (g)

Production

Q1

·
Registered
8,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
From
http://www.cmo.com.tw/cmo/english/pr...20040804203848

The CMO 1080p 37" panel is also MVA

Model V370H1

Technology

Super MVA

Resolution

1920x1080

Pixel Pitch(mm)

0.4275x0.4275

Active Area(mm)

820.8x461.7

Outline(mm)

884.8x525.9x52.24

Luminance(nits)

View Angle (U/D/R/L)

88/88/88/88 (CR>20)

Contrast Ratio

> 600:1

Support Color

8bit, 16.7M

Color Saturation (NTSC)

75%

Response Time(ms)

12(Gray to Gray)

Weight (g)

Power Consumption(W)

# of Lamps

CCFLx20

Electrical Interface

2-ch LVDS

·
Registered
605 Posts
Well it is available in Pamona and Victorville, but not in LA. That makes me surmise it is 1366x768. No offense to those in the inland empire.

1 - 20 of 3176 Posts