AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All the 1080p talk has me a bit confused...

It sounds like the samsungs and toshibas that will do 1080p will just be upconverting it? Even if we get 1080p input, the inputs will not take it? So it will downconvert, then upconvert?

Are toshibas 1080p dlp's even for sale yet?

Thanks

·
Registered
147 Posts
See other threads for more info. Lots to pick from...

Instead of sending 1080p you have to send it 1080i. It will deinterlace the signal. There are no 1080p sources right now anyway. Except for PCs, and they do accept that 1080p signal.

Jon

·
Registered
424 Posts
HD Dvd is 1080i, stick to native resolution for clearer picture. It is like watching DVD upconverted to 1080i, it looks artificial, and lacks clear resolution. Due to bandwith constaints, it is very unlikely 1080p will ever be transmitted, to costly and bandwith hungry. 1080i will be around for a long time.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It seems that other threads are saying that the HDMI inputs will not take 1080p on these TV's coming out. Is that true or am I misunderstanding?

·
Registered
147 Posts
You're right, that's what the other threads are saying. No reason to think those people are incorrect, especially since the mfgs aren't even claiming that these TVs accept 1080p input over HDMI.

Jon

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, they can upconvert 1080i to 1080p... But if the PS3 can output 1080p, it will come in to the TV as 1080i then upconverted?

Is there anything in TV specs to look for to tell if it will take in 1080p?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Quote:
Is there anything in TV specs to look for to tell if it will take in 1080p?
Yes look at the input specs.

There are NO tv's being released in 2005 that accept a 1080p signal.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by voriand
Yes look at the input specs.

There are NO tv's being released in 2005 that accept a 1080p signal.
That may be true for HDMI, but there are some that will accept 1080p via an analog VGA input.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, Good info, hard to see through the marketing speak sometimes :/

So, if I buy a 1080p TV now... all Im getting is the upconverting. It is not a hedge against new techs that will output 1080p. Once those devices come out, I will still need to upgrade to take full advantage of them.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Is it hard or technically beyond our present grasp to produce sets with 1080p input support?

Or would it be too expensive to produce such sets--who knows maybe they would cost more than a Qualia?

Or is it just a never ending replay of the Video Display industry SLOWLY bringing out improvements to MAINTAIN sales over the long run?

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
This may be a stupid question, but is there going to be a really noticeable visual difference between a 720P / 1080i signal that is upconverted to 1080P versus a true 1080P signal? I've seen an upconverted signal on a 1080P Sharp television at Best Buy and the picture was outstanding!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjensen
This may be a stupid question, but is there going to be a really noticeable visual difference between a 720P / 1080i signal that is upconverted to 1080P versus a true 1080P signal? I've seen an upconverted signal on a 1080P Sharp television at Best Buy and the picture was outstanding!
Every time a picture is manipulated, something gets lost. In an ideal world, everthing would be shot, transmitted and displayed in 1080P with 1 to 1 pixel mapping. But that's not the world we live in today. If that were the case, the picture would look just as good whether you're sitting 2 feet or 20 from the screen.

The thing to remember is that at normal viewing distances, a decent HDTV with decent material appears like you're looking out a window. There will always be a TV with better specifications out next month. It's much like buying a PC, you just have to wait until it reaches a point where the price is low enough, and the specs are high enough, and jump in.

This may be heresy, but I'd recommend that most people spend a lot of time in AVS forum while selecting and fine tuning their home theater system, then go away. If you're in here all the time, you'll always want the newer, bigger better, faster, cheaper TV, instead of just enjoying what you have.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artwood
Is it hard or technically beyond our present grasp to produce sets with 1080p input support?

Or would it be too expensive to produce such sets--who knows maybe they would cost more than a Qualia?

Or is it just a never ending replay of the Video Display industry SLOWLY bringing out improvements to MAINTAIN sales over the long run?
the hdmi connectors that accept 1080p input were just released this year but haven't been implemented, apparently, in this year's models. If you read one of the quotes from Sony on their new SXRD models, they are blaming the MPAA for being paranoid about piracy, as the reason why the tv's won't be accepting 1080p through hdmi.

the new samsungs apparently accept 1080p through the vga port though

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.