AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently I have a Denon AVR-4306 (1080i) receiver and I am looking to get a new television. I am looking at Sony ex700 series either 46 or 52 inch. Also looking at Samsung 6300 series in the 46 or 55 inch size. I use my PS3 for Blu ray and games. Any suggestion on television choice (screen size) and will my older receiver be a problem due to the lack of 1080p? I sit 15-18 feet away from where the screen will be.

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
397 Posts
As long as you set your PS3 to output 1080i, then it shouldn't be a problem with the receiver. The tv will then just easily upconvert the 1080i signal from the receiver to 1080p, no problem. For the appropriate screen size, because you are going to be sitting relatively far away, the minimum I would suggest would be 55" and if you can afford to go bigger, I would highly recommend that. I sit about 8 ft away from my 60" tv and that is just perfect for me (though that may seem too close for others). Of course, getting into 55"+ screen sizes with LCD/LED can get very pricey so you may also want to consider plasma as they are priced substantially less and can produce images that are just as good as LCD/LED (and arguably better according to many, personal preference really).

·
Registered
926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by powellken /forum/post/19518545

Currently I have a Denon AVR-4306 (1080i) receiver and I am looking to get a new television. I am looking at Sony ex700 series either 46 or 52 inch. Also looking at Samsung 6300 series in the 46 or 55 inch size. I use my PS3 for Blu ray and games. Any suggestion on television choice (screen size) and will my older receiver be a problem due to the lack of 1080p? I sit 15-18 feet away from where the screen will be.

Thanks for any help

Your receiver will pass thorough 1080p signals. Where you are getting confused is that it will also upscale lower signals (such as standard dvd) to either 720p or 1080i. I have a Pioneer Elite that does the same thing and the Denon you have is comparable to mine and an excellent receiver.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
All 1080p native resolution digital technology HDTVs wiil de-interlace 1080i input to 1080p and the newer top of the line models will do a better job of it then older models snce the newer model they have more powerfull video chips with better de-interlacing algorithims built into them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts