AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

been trying to configure my Pc for HD files but i can only watch HD trailers (MOV files) via quicktime without Stutter...

If i use zoom player pro (windvd 8 doesn't seem to be able to read those files) i get lots of stutter... i've tryed to config the player but without success for those files...

I'm running an AMD X2 4400 with 2Gb of memory and a Nvidia 7800GT card so don't think it's hardware related specially cause quicktime reads them fine...

Any Help?

I would like to use only one player for all media files if possible (i could use one only for DVD and other for the rest).

Other problem i'm having is that i installed Purevideo but i cannot seem to make it work...

In Zoom Player i have the NVIDIA NVDVD v3+ Video Decoder. Is this Purevideo?

Cause i select this one and when i play a DVD or other media file i don't get the icon on the task bar as i believe it should be...

Also, is there an option to use purevideo in some cases (hd files, DVD for instance) and FFDShow for the others? I disabled FFDShow to use purevideo but still don't have the icon on the task bar so i think i don't have it working...

Tryed WinDVD 8 ; Zoom Player WMV pro ; Media Player Classic and Windows Media Player and neither makes the Purevideo Icon to appear.

HELPPPPPPPPPPPP !!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
616 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffyduck /forum/post/0

Other problem i'm having is that i installed Purevideo but i cannot seem to make it work...

Also, is there an option to use purevideo in some cases (hd files, DVD for instance) and FFDShow for the others? I disabled FFDShow to use purevideo but still don't have the icon on the task bar so i think i don't have it working...

The problem is that FFDshow sets its decoder merit (priority) to an insane maximum value allowed which stops any other decoder from being invoked for media types recognised by it. Uninstalling FFDShow should allow for the Purevideo decoder to playback MPEG-2.

·
Registered
437 Posts
You may want to download the Microsoft Utility (can't remember the name) which allows you to set the preferred MPEG-2 decoder.

The trailers are H264, so as stated above those will not use the MPEG-2 decoder (only DVDs and SD/HD MPEG-2 material will use it).

Your setup is more than enough horsepower and should be able to use hardware acceleration for H264 playback as well, which will take the load off the CPU. It requires newer Nvidia drivers and may require certain H264 decoders to take advantage of the hardware acceleration built into your video card. I think the WinDVD (if new enough, I don't keep up with current versions), but that H264 decoder should allow the video card to help decode it.

I think the HDMOV extension of the trailers will allow you to use Media Player rather than quicktime for playback, or download and use Quicktime Alternative. QT alternative includes CoreAVC video decoder which probably won't support your video card's hardware acceleration, but it is a relatively low overhead decoder. (I can playback 1080p trailers on my single core AMD 64 3200+, with CoreAVC, my video card has no hardware acceleration help, but I can just barely play the 1080p when it comes to H264).

It is kind of confusing, but just keep in mind each different type of video (MPEG-2, H264, WMV, etc.) all use different software decoders (FFDshow maybe does several, I don't use it). "Purevideo" is also confusing as it doesn't just refer to the MPEG-2 decoder, it also refers to hardware technology built into your video card. This generic statement "Purevideo" also makes this more confusing.

·
Premium Member
5,820 Posts
Install Cyberlink PowerDVD. This is the ONLY app that I know of that currently plays these trailers perfectly using your display card's hardware accelleration. I couldn't even come close to playing these 1080p mov files until I started PowerDVD's h264 video filter. Once you install PowerDVD, you can play these trailers with no problem even in Windows Media Player.

·
Premium Member
5,820 Posts
My bad, I thought Core didnt support hardware accelleration yet. Glad to see they are supporting it now! I can't seem to find the beta download though. Where did you find it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailergod /forum/post/0

try CORE CODEC or the CORE player.....

·
Registered
437 Posts
I don't think CoreAVC supports hardware. You can find it in the install of QuickTime Alternative.

The comment about Cyberlink above is true only for video cards that support the hardware acceleration. I think yours supports it, mine X700 doesn't. That would be your best long-term solution.

If you want to try Core in the meantime, download quicktime alternative. You can install the decoder without installing the program (just select your options, when installing).

·
Registered
912 Posts
I think the best player out there is Media Player Classic (MPC). Not only is it free but it allows you to individually select which filter to use, you can set the merit of each filter and you can actually block a filter from being used. As others have already said, purevideo is a mpeg2 decoder (a fine one at that) but it will not play h264 files. CoreAVC is currently the best h264 decoder but it is not free but reasonably priced. It does not currently support hardware acceleration but it is in the works. With you current hardware you don't need it anyway. Your other choices are either PowerDVD which does support hardware acceleration but of course is not free either. FFDshow is another free alternative but it is not as fast as coreAVC but it may still work ok with your hardware.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.